Author Topic: Potowotami Replica  (Read 13585 times)

Offline Dane

Re: Potowotami Replica
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 10:10:59 am »
Great theory, Simon. I can't back this up, but my feelings are that they are strictly decorative, or perhaps part of that people's religion or mythologies? Or, this sounds silly, maybe a measuring stick of some sort? Or maybe the original bowyer felt they looked cool? :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 12:18:42 pm »
You are posting some really different and interesting bows.  Should think gift shops and museums would be interested in your products.  Very nice in terms of "primitiveness" and a great tiller, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 10:43:49 pm »
Thanks for all the complimets guys!

Oldbow and Dane, Thanks very much. I think those are some of the niceset compliments on my work that I have very recieved.

Jamie, No problem shooting them off the hand. They are allot smother then they looka nd besides that area iof my hand is like leather.

Gregb, Never even considered cross cutting the garin like that as a potential problem. Lots of Native A Bows are made with these. Time tested design.

Frank, The scallps make it no harder to tiller. Routine.

Again, Thanks for the complimets,

SJM

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 10:57:18 am »
I'm really glad you posted this bow as the Potowotami tribe is a local tribe here the Upper Peninsula
of Michigan and ever since I saw a picture in TBB I've wanted to make one. If I ever get an opportunity
to talk with an elder I will ask about the scallops. BTW awesome bow I love your replicas.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 12:51:08 pm »
Dana, Thats awsome. maybe one day I could show my replicas to them and see what they think. Do you think they would take the time to chat with me If i drove up?

SJM

makete

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 12:56:18 pm »
This design could have come to the "orginal" maker as a vision. A lot of ideas came to the Native peoples in visions and were acted upon, as this bow could have been. It probaly had a spiritual reason for that person and then may have been copied by others. That is how the Native people learned new things, visions. Then they were sometimes expected to teach others what the vision was and the why and what. But also sometimes they were to be shared only with their spiritual leader or teacher. A vision is a powerfull thing and was not something taken lightly.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 12:59:58 pm »
makate,

I like that explanation allot. Good thoughts.

Thanks for sharing.

SJM

duffontap

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 01:27:32 pm »
Don't know how I missed it--That sure turned out nice!  That has got to be the strangest bow design ever. 

J. D. Duff

Offline snedeker

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 02:22:45 pm »
Great project.  The scallops must have been really time consuming for the indians to cut in.

Dave

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 04:40:47 pm »
Ahhh, there it is! Great looking bow! I love all of your replicas.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Roger

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 09:37:31 pm »
A real beauty...like the tiller too!

R

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 12:02:50 am »
I can't speak for them but I can't imagine them refusing to talk about their heritage and traditions.
I could probably get you a phone number so you can call. Drop me a PM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI