Author Topic: English longbows can be tough!  (Read 25470 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: English longbows can be tough!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2007, 03:25:05 pm »
You bet your bippy war bows were well designed and crafted. What bowyer wants to deal with an irate, if still living, archer after his bow breaks in combat. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 06:27:54 pm »
JD-as you said, taking the factors and context into consideration makes it hard to compare different types of bows. I'd say the ELB is the premier design for it's intended use- accurately slinging heavy arrows long distances. That's why I probably gravitate to the designs I usually make- my context is hunting and 3D shooting at fairly close ranges, and I make bows that perform well and feel right to me for those uses. I also usually shoot with the bow canted almost horizontally-not the best form with a longbow. I couldn't hit a barn at 200 yards, much less a mounted Frenchman  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

SimonUK

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2007, 06:33:01 pm »
You hit the nail on the head Hillbilly - totally different bows for different uses. You can't compare them. The warbow is goliath and the hunting flatbow is david. One is a man's bow and the other is ...well, a toy.

Offline Dan Perry

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2007, 02:31:21 am »
Steve,

I had a little time to look in on this site.  I want to get back to your topic for a minute.  I had an aspiring bowyer over here a while back to teach him how to build a wood bow.  I worked with him from 10 in the morning, to 10 at night.  He started shooting the bow about dark.  I let the wood and his long draw determine the design.  I pointed out to him that even though a 72" bend in the handle bow seems like an easy design, it was really a better design after you have had a few bows under your belt.  Add to that, I narrowd the bend in the handle bow at the handle to help with paradox!  That really makes it tricky.

I notice you bite your toung pretty well. ;-)  You have talked about the design elements and what they do I am sure.  We just need to make flight archers out of everyone!  ;D

I love all bows! I haven't made many ELB's.  Doubt if I have made a dozen.  Too cheap to buy the wood that can handle the cross section mostly.  I will say that I have enjoyed them very much.  Yes, tiller takes a while until you get use to them.

My favorite bows, for the most part, are long bows.  English, American, my own design, doesn't matter.  I only draw 27" stretched out! but I often shoot bows 70" long or longer.  They perform well if built right.

I have to admit, I wasn't shooting a yew longbow well at the archery competition of the State mountain man rondezvoo one year.
I pulled out a 65# bend in the handle hickory plains style bow, sinew backed, 54" nock to nock, and was shooting it better.  I used it to edge out my Buddy Don Burge for first place!  He was using a yew ALB.  But over all, I usually do much better with a long bow.

I repeat, They are all good, we shoot what we like and what fits out preferences.  I am just happy that every wood bow is someones favorite.  Last week I asked my back yard neighbor if he was ready to give up his training wheels yet! LOL.  (I was building those bows in the early 70's)

Dan

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 04:00:59 am »
Dan, that little 50# elb you had at the flight shoots last year was no slouch, putting arrows out over 300 yards!. That would be a nice bow to post here with full draw pics, I think you gave it to Charlie allready if I am not mistaken. I have been trying to come up with an idea for some kind of flight kit that could be mailed around the country for flight shoots. Maybe just a hansen spring scale, digital grain scale and a 100 yard tape. The whole thing would have to rely on well trained officials, this would be the toughest part and possibly the deal breaker. One or two questionable shoots and the whole thing would loose all credibility. Steve

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 03:54:44 pm »
 ..........................................Well Simon Uk since yer think a huntin' flatbow is "Well....a toy" to quote you why not stand out 25 yards and let a hunting archer with a 55 lb huntin' flatbow shoot at you. When he drives an arrow through you see if you still think its a toy? Iam sure you didn't really mean what you said!.......bob

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2007, 04:38:41 pm »
       I am not sure but I think he was reffering to the heavyweight elbs as being man toys. They obviously have the potencial to be much more than toys but how we use them today the term might qualify in it's broader sense. Steve

SimonUK

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2007, 04:43:31 pm »
No offence to anyone, I was just kidding  ;)

duffontap

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2007, 04:58:49 pm »
Twang-thwack!  ;D

SimonUK

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2007, 06:39:21 pm »
Ouch!  :o