Author Topic: Astro flight, fast flight plus?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Chris grimbowyer

Astro flight, fast flight plus?
« on: August 12, 2011, 12:22:42 am »
I am considering buying one of these string materials. Is Astro worth the extra 10 dollars per spool? I would be purchasing it from 3 Rivers. It says "Brownell recommends 20 strands for traditional strings" That seems like a lot. I don't want to pay almost 50 dollars for a spool of something that's going to get used that quickly? What do you guys think about these two?

Offline Gordon

Re: Astro flight, fast flight plus?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:06:36 am »
I use FF+ for all of my strings. 12-14 strands for a hunting weight bow. I'm not familiar with Astro.
Gordon

mikekeswick

Re: Astro flight, fast flight plus?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:06:39 am »
The reason they recommend so many strands is that the indivual strands are thinner. So to make the string the same diameter as a 'standard' string and therefore be a good fit in 'standard' nocks you have to use loads of strands  of course you can get the correct diameter by simply doubling/tripling the serving. Most of these strings test out at upto 70lbs breaking strain per strand. So a 50lb bow could be shot with a 4 strand string! I find fastflight(dyneema) type strings go a lot further per spool than say B50 and are much faster.