Author Topic: Clovish preform 1:10  (Read 1268 times)

Offline aaron

Clovish preform 1:10
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:10:02 pm »
I posted this piece a few days ago under "massive overshot..)". That overshot took the piece from 1:6 (width to thickness ratio) to 1:8. So I looked in the book "The Fenn Cache" and realised that the preforms in there are about 1:8, ( but the finished points are more like 1:4.7 averege). In the process of working the biface down I "overdid it" a bit and ended up at 1:10 (!).This is my thinnest ratio ever (pats self on back).
Question- when y'all are building a clovis, how does the W:T of your preform compare to your finished piece? On mine, I usually keep the w:t fairly constant through the process. But the realisation that the fenn cache preforms (if that's what they are) are much thinner in W:T than the finished points, makes me wonder if thin preforms are the way to go.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

Re: Clovish preform 1:10
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:15:53 pm »
It's Riley Dacite (Oregon) and 4 3/4 wide (12cm:12mm). Moose and elk percussion with a few pressure flakes .
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:32 pm »
Aaron, I wished I had an answer for ya, but frankly I never really thought about it?

I think that most of my bifaces are thinner( ratio wise) that my preforms, and after I get it to preform size, then  I  know that I am getting closed to done,so the point usually winds up close to the same ration as my preform. I need to watch this next time I build some and see how it holds up.

Good looking Dacite. I never get to hit that stuff much. It does make some awesome looking Paleo stuff.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:30:26 am »
arron some of the clovis points like the fenn cache are very thin like you said. most average 3/1 ratio thoughive just got back into cumberlands again and those are 2/1 ratio. getting a good ridge line set ,even on the thin ones, will get that flute to travel.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct