Author Topic: Hickory Recurve (and progress pics)  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Hickory Recurve (and progress pics)
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:38 pm »
I am currently working on a new bow build and have already bent in the static recurves.  I have heard that adding deflex to the bow helps with some the stability issues that can arise with heavily recurved tips...if that is true and recommended, how much deflex is typically added?

Many thanks on any thoughts~

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:57:56 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Recurve question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:49:03 am »
Mine usually deflex themselves as I tiller and shoot the bow in.  ;D   ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:22:19 am »
LOL, thanks Pat...now that you mention it my last short Osage recurve did a little of that as well.  Thanks~
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:43:26 am »
Yup...just continue carefully tillering that shag out n it'll end up a tad deflexed in the limbs. Id give her a med toasting where your profile is right now n then finish tiller n you'll end up where u want when all is said n done.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:02:01 am »
Cool, sounds like a good plan of attack Chris.  Thanks a ton.  Gonna get back on it today.   >:D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Recurve question (and progress pics)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:04:38 pm »
Here is a pic of some of the progress so far on this Hickory Static Recurve...

She is pulling #58 @ 16" on the short string, need to move up to a braced height soon.  I'm shooting for #55 @ 28"

Thanks for looking~

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:37:15 pm »
What did you use to get the tips formed Lee? Any pics of your jig?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 06:11:32 pm »
It looks really good so far!!!
I agree with Pat and blackhawk, just continue tillering, get it on the short string and it will deflex a bit by itself. In my opinion the only reason I like a little deflex in a static recurve is for ease of getting a string on it. I try not to let it get too much, but if there is a little it just means you have the wood doing a lot of work. Being a static recurve should mean that you have higher poundage at brace, which should store more energy, so putting to much deflex in can make a negative effect on the extra wood in the tips.
Keep posting the pictures!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 06:14:33 pm »
PD, does that question mean they are not done correctly?  I can snap a pic here of the jig in a bit (just starting to put another coat of Tru-oil on a Hick / ERC bow that is almost completed)

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:19:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply Mark, I'll keep working her down a bit as I increase and draw and things should work out pretty well...the limbs are bending very even so far right from my rough out so I can't complain any.  I just got done toasting the belly on this right after I snapped that pic so I suppose I need to wait a day or so for the bow to re-hydrate some.

Thanks again
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 06:20:19 pm »
Mid limbs look a wee tad stiff,but looking good and your on the right track with your tiller,and plenty of weight to play with yet. Keep up the good work.    ;)

Haha...im toasting a hickory right now too

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 07:46:42 pm »
PD, here's a shot of the jig I used to recurve my tips.  I boiled them for about an hour and they bent pretty easy.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »
Hey guys, here are a few pics from today's tillering.  Seems to be going fairly well but as you can see in the last pic the tip on the left has the recurves starting to pull out.  Not sure what is causing that as both tips are the same thickness.  Can I re-treat with a heat gun and bend them again?  Are underlays the only way to help this issue?

10am

11am

Low Brace

12pm

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:16:33 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 03:37:20 pm »
My question meant just that. I see nothing wrong with your curves Lee! I just like to see others forms, always looking for a better way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:42:46 pm »
Just my two cents n worthless opinion on the matter as I've never had curves pull out on me before. But id set them back in the jig and reheat them carefully and slowly work it back down around the jig. Let em completely cool before removing from jig.  Then lightly sand off the heat marks,clean with acetone,and glue thin qaurtersawn underlays of Osage. It'll look cool anyways and should hold her together.

How thick is your curve at the apex of the bend? Put your calipers on em and give me a three place decimal number.

I think you know but left limb is stiff and could bend a lil more out by the fade.

P.s. your low brace pic isn't showing. Looks like ya forgot to put a bracket behind the first img code
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:51:11 pm by blackhawk »