Author Topic: Too many points?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Too many points?
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »
Can it be possible to have to many points? I found this one in my driveway, either I set aside an forgot about it or my dog flint made off with it while I knapped another. I sometimes thing that in my quest for nicer an thinner points that I set good ones to the side an keep looking for the perfect point, must be a zen thing or something, I really like how thin my driveway find is yet at the time I must have been looking for something better or i wouldn,t of been so careless with it :o :o :o Oh an to answer the question, No I can never have to many points, how about you?  Thanks for looking   Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Too many points?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:31:39 pm »
  I know what you mean, Bob. I have a pile of "go back to" points. A lot of them are thin, but there is always something I want to fix. most of the time it is coming up with something from a difficult piece of rock that I thought I'd done real good after breaking a half dozen. Then the more I looked at it, I thought I' could make it better. I usually end up breaking some of them but, then some come out looking a lot better. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of my do over stash. I get anal when I chip rock. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:36:59 am »
I guess i'm the same in a way. Have filled orders for hunting points and such a couple of times in the past and just get no satifaction from making this hobby a job so to speak. Therefore i have arrowheads all over the house now ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:41:57 pm »
I don't do enough knapping to have too many of them.

Nice points
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:45:16 pm »
Asking a knapper if one can have too many points . The answer would be the same if you asked him if there is such a thing as having too much flint. It doesn't matter how much I have I still pick up every good piece I find.  No matter how many points we have we still find ourselves making more.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:57:00 pm »
If y'all are running out of space for all those points I've got plenty of room.   ;D
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 01:14:45 pm »
It's a sickness, with no cure... >:D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:52:11 pm »
Too many points?
Not possible. 
 Just sell some or give some away.  The recipient will thank you and you'll have plenty of space to make more.  Now if I could just figure a way to get quality rock for free....

I keep a clunkers box that I go through from time to time to see if I can rescue one that was problematic in he past.  They end up shorter or narrower than they were intended to be, but hey, they're no longer in the clunkers box.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.