Author Topic: tiller check please! new pictures  (Read 2767 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
tiller check please! new pictures
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:47:18 am »
i might be seeing this wrong and sry that the pics are not better quality. it is a 64" tpt maple sapling bow. going to have a stiff handle and is already pulled to 13" on tiller string at 4" brace height. just can't put my finger on the possible problem and yes i know there is a problem. it is 1 7/8" at the fades and tapered to 3/4" ta the tips left wide for the tillering down i still have to take out a bend to center the string in the handle. so any help please.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:25:26 pm by jturkey »
doc

Offline Hrothgar

Re: tiller check please!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:08:34 am »
From the pic I don't see any major problems with the tiller. Is your bow centered on the tiller stick? The right limb (upper limb?) seems way longer. Also, you might want to narrow the tips a little, this is going to effect your string alignment some.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:08:29 am »
I agree with what has been said.
Tiller looks real good, Left limb seems to bend a lil more than the right.
Could possibly be from the bow not being centered on the tree?
I usually place the "spot" where the arrow will pass on the handle, dead center of the tiller tree.
Also, If you could define top and bottom limbs.
Looks good so far, just take it slow and easy, don't rush it.  ;D
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Jorad

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:57:16 am »
I think the fades are bending a lot and midlimb and tips are to stiff. I'd get the limbs bending more even and leave the area near the handle alone.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 02:39:53 pm »
I see a potential weak point just out from the fade on the left limb, I wouldn't tough that area until the rest of the limb is working a bit more.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jturkey

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 02:44:59 pm »
thuis morning i see what you are saying about the fade areas my eys must have been seeing triplets last night. it looked alot worse than what it looked this morning i left it on the tree last night and will go out and see if i had it slightly offcenter but i believe it is centered but i could be wrong i was plannign on the md limbs out to work more and will be working on that tody i have a bad problem with not having the fade areas working and being stiff so i was working on that with this one and as i said i will be thinning the tips as i go. thanks for the information. keep it coming because i would really like this one to work out since i have about 50 of these trees marked for cutting when it get cool enough to get out there to cut. john
doc

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 06:22:28 pm »
shorten that string up

Offline jturkey

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 02:48:35 pm »
bow junkie i want to fix the slight bend problem i have before deciding what limb will be the top and bottom i am planning on making the handle possible to be shot right or left so that will not be a problem once i get farther along. i also try to let the stave decide which is top and bottom as well.
aznboi3644 i plan on it i just moved it from 2" brace height and it is still at 4" it has been too hot to do anything to it this week i might have to bring it in the den and work on it some.i am plannig on it being braced at 6" and will get it there as i go.
del the cat thanks man i saw that when i looked at it as well i have to give this maple credit it is some really hard stuff and i'm not sure which type it is buti have to admit it is some tough stuff.
doc

Offline jturkey

Re: tiller check please! new pictures
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »
ok it is at 6 inches braced and drawn to 17" what you think?
doc

Offline randman

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:14:50 pm »
She looks real close everywhere except the left limb tip. little stiff there. Doesn't bend as much as the right tip
Gonna be a beauty!
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:40:56 pm »
Right limb has a perfect arc. Now,,,,  make the left limb match it.
I see a hinge about 6'' out from the handle
Johnny
in Texas