Author Topic: Gum Tree Wood and BBQ Question  (Read 1461 times)

Offline StevenT

Gum Tree Wood and BBQ Question
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:12:54 pm »
I normally use Hickory, Mesquite or Oak wood in my BBQ smoker for slow smoking pork and beef. Hurricane Irene knocked three large Gum Ball trees down in my back yard. So after I get the one off of the house I am going to have a lot of Gum Ball wood. Has anyone ever used Gum Ball wood in a BBQ smoker? I am wondering what kind of flavor it would part to the meat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Gum Tree Wood and BBQ Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:47 pm »
People used to chew the resin from gum trees hince the name"gum". You might try building a fire with the gum wood to see how the smoke smells and determing from that if it would be good smoker wood.
  Your biggest problem with using gum is splitting it small enough to use in the smoker. Gum is extremely difficult to split.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StevenT

Re: Gum Tree Wood and BBQ Question
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 01:08:13 pm »
Thanks Pat. I would not be using the trunk. That stuff is impossible to split. I have a bunch of branches that I could cut a couple inches thick with a chain saw. I found some more post on line and about 3/4 say don't use it and a few that have said they let it dry really well and used it with good results. I guess the tell is going to be to give it a try and see what happens, but I sure won't do any testing with an expensive cut of meat.