Author Topic: English longbows can be tough!  (Read 25489 times)

Offline Badger

English longbows can be tough!
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:48:31 pm »
        I really admire the perfect tillers I have seen on many of these elbs posted here. They are tougher than they look. I was thinking about that today, on a flatbow I may only tiller about 16" on each limb, on an elb you have to tiller and ballance then entire bow! 80" in some cases. Not sure where I am going with this but hats off to the great work I have been seeing on here. Steve

DCM

Re: English longbows can be tough!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:00:39 pm »
Not to mention keeping to center is so critical and not so simple.  Some of these super heavy bows from character staves are really inspiring.  It ain't as easy it they make it look!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 03:10:30 pm »
They really are quite the works or skill. They look so simple and easy compared to composite bows and other European/Asian designs, but looks can be deceiveing!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 04:17:02 pm »
My first attempt became a nice set of extra-long yew drumsticks.  So I concur.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

duffontap

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 04:17:04 pm »
Thanks Steve.  Finally a small concession to those of us who slave away for days on these 'simple, beginner bows.'  The more I know about the English designs, the more convinced I am that they are some of the hardest to tiller.  Did you read the comments to this effect on the 'simple D bows thread?'  Almost no one agreed with me over there.

You really nailed the essence of it--controlling 16" of working wood is just easier than controlling 72" of working wood. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 04:48:53 pm »
   I finished one today, great little shooter, held profile nicely, performance is right up there, and best of all I finaly got the handshock out of my elbs, BUT!!!  The tiller, I am embarrassed to post it! I keep hitting target draw weight on these things before I am done tillering! I will try and post it tomorrow morning anyway. Steve

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 06:12:51 pm »
JD, not necessarily disagreeing with you on the D bows thread, just saying that the vast majority of D bows are not English longbows, nor are/were they neccessarily tillered like one, nor do they have to be to be efficient and effective weapons. If you want to make a true replica English longbow, that's one thing. If you are trying to follow the spirit of an Eastern Woodlands Indian flatbow (or South American, or African, or Papuan, or any number of other D bow styles) why should you try to tiller it like an ELB when it ain't one? Most of these styles of D bows were in use and keeping people fed and defended long before the ELB ever came along. The people of Northern and central Europe also used D bows that weren't ELB's for thousands of years. Oetzi the ice man was carrying one. What I disagree with is the attitude that English Long Bows are somehow inherently superior to other types of bows, and that everyone else should look to the ELB as the shining pinnacle of bowyership, as if it's the only real and true bow design in the world (plus it probably needs to pull at least a couple hundred pounds or more to be a real  bow lol). Not saying that you yourself said or implied this, but it's a common attitude found in archery literature for the last century and a half. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with ELBs, either-I like them and hope to make a couple more in the future, but variety is the spice of life.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:16:31 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 06:34:55 pm »
It's funny, I got into this bow making thing because I wanted an ELB, but the prices were crazy expensive. And I quickly found out there are so many other designs and way not enough time. I also would want to shoot my bows, so 110 pounds seems counter productive except to see if I can make one that powerful. The war bow guys do some splendid work (that includes JD of course), but the Asiatic composite seems the ultimate bow to me at the moment (and my core is just about ready finally so I can begin work on the horn!). I doubt I will ever get tired of the prehistoric bows, also.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:42:53 pm »
Yes, ELB's are a difficult tiller. Not all ELB's are D bows and not all D bows are ELB's though. I like my bows 62-66 in so I don't like the length needed for an ELB.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

duffontap

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 07:45:37 pm »
JD, not necessarily disagreeing with you on the D bows thread, just saying that the vast majority of D bows are not English longbows, nor are/were they necessarily tillered like one, nor do they have to be to be efficient and effective weapons. If you want to make a true replica English longbow, that's one thing. If you are trying to follow the spirit of an Eastern Woodlands Indian flatbow (or South American, or African, or Papuan, or any number of other D bow styles) why should you try to tiller it like an ELB when it ain't one? Most of these styles of D bows were in use and keeping people fed and defended long before the ELB ever came along. The people of Northern and central Europe also used D bows that weren't ELB's for thousands of years. Oetzi the ice man was carrying one. What I disagree with is the attitude that English Long Bows are somehow inherently superior to other types of bows, and that everyone else should look to the ELB as the shining pinnacle of bowyership, as if it's the only real and true bow design in the world (plus it probably needs to pull at least a couple hundred pounds or more to be a real  bow lol). Not saying that you yourself said or implied this, but it's a common attitude found in archery literature for the last century and a half. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with ELBs, either-I like them and hope to make a couple more in the future, but variety is the spice of life.

I understand you there Hillbilly.  I certianly wasn't taking offense at any of your comments.  I over-complicated my argument by introducing the topic of English designs.  I used them as an example because I know more about them than other 'D' designs.  I had two basic arguments for why it's hard to tiller 'D' bows; they are:

First, seeing, judging and controlling the bend on a long piece of wood is harder than on a short piece of wood.  Elliptical bows have 12"+ of stiff handle and another 12-20" of stiff tips.  That leaves you with much less bending wood to focus your attention on. 

Second, a bow that has perfectly circular tiller at 24" will be round in the handle at 28."  With a circular tiller the bend progresses into the handle so those who are trying to get their bows looking/acting a certain way will need predict how this tiller will evolve through the draw.  That's just a confusing way of saying the biggest mistake bowyers will make while trying to achieve circular tiller is getting a bow that bends too much in the handle. 

As far as your comments about the English designs, I understand that there was a historic preoccupation with English styles during the golden age of American archery, but I don't I really see it so much anymore.  Osage and hickory flatbows dominate the scene and most of the English styled bows posted on this site follow the English recipe rather casually.  I'll admit that I have a bit of 'the English disease' that Saxton Pope and others had.  I need to educate myself more on Native American archery for sure so I can compare these two worlds of archery more evenhandedly.  But, I am perplexed with the short-bow obsession of some people in light of sacrifices one has to make in cast and accuracy to shoot such weapons.  In terms of power and accuracy, English longbows are pretty brilliant.  They can send 1,400 grain arrows out at 190 fps, they can stack arrow after arrow into a 9" gold at 100 yards, and they can down lots of the king's deer for the merry men. ;D  The English designs developed out of heavily-funded, organized military development and the result is something simple, refined and rather special. 

J. D. Duff

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 09:16:09 pm »
I know where Hillbilly is coming from with his comments on D bows and the English "mystique".I made a post about Timucuans and Caloosa Indians penetrating mail with common cane arrows with sharpened wooden points and was totally ignored.Even though the thread was on penetration of heavy poundage bows.I just chalked it up to everybody wasn't really discussing heavy bows ,really English heavy bows.
   JD,There really is not a disavantage with a short bow as far as cast and power.If you are hunting targets or circles in the dirt,maybe so.But after an arrow makes a complete pass through shot and the animal falls down it doesn't really matter how far the arrow goes.I also think there are a few Flight shooters that might disagree also.
   You said,"In terms of power and accuracy,English longbows are pretty brilliant"Well, Like you said you might need to explore and try some new things. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

duffontap

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:18:03 pm »
I know where Hillbilly is coming from with his comments on D bows and the English "mystique".I made a post about Timucuans and Caloosa Indians penetrating mail with common cane arrows with sharpened wooden points and was totally ignored.Even though the thread was on penetration of heavy poundage bows.I just chalked it up to everybody wasn't really discussing heavy bows ,really English heavy bows.
   JD,There really is not a disavantage with a short bow as far as cast and power.If you are hunting targets or circles in the dirt,maybe so.But after an arrow makes a complete pass through shot and the animal falls down it doesn't really matter how far the arrow goes.I also think there are a few Flight shooters that might disagree also.
   You said,"In terms of power and accuracy,English longbows are pretty brilliant"Well, Like you said you might need to explore and try some new things. :)

Hey Eddie,

I am not completely ignorant on other designs.  I've made a lot of flatbows and I really like them.  I read just about everything I can get my hands on about all different styles.  But, even if I were completely ignorant on all other designs, it wouldn't make everything I said above wrong would it?  Here's a little more:

1.  A basic axiom of target archery is that length equates to stability.  Ishi was probably an excellent shot within his method of shooting but he excelled at short ranges where almost any bow would suffice.  Steve Allelly has an English longbow in his personal collection and told me not long ago that he had to ditch his Ishi-style bow for his English longbow in the middle of hunting season because the little bow was hurting his elbow and he was having accuracy problems.  He prefers hunting with a Native American design but says an English longbow is more accurate and it obviously adapts to his style of hunting. 

2.  Generally speaking, there is a cast and power advantage with longer bows.  Less stack equates to higher early draw weight and more working length allows for longer draws and fat fd curves.  "Short bows perform almost unbelievably slower than longer bows,"  Tim Baker.  Read the 'West Coast' chapter of TBB1 and look at the pictures of the little bows the native Americans in my area shot.  Compare that with Lewis and Clark's comments that every elk they killed while they wintered here (5 miles from my house) had broken-off Indian arrows in it.  By today's standards, they were guilty of egregious, unethical hunting. 

I am sorry that your post on mail penetration was ignored but that just happens here.  Half of what I say is ignored.  Make that everthing.  Anyway, I have no doubt that a sharp stick would penetrate mail.  A long bodkin arrow shot out of a EWB will hardly slow down going through chain mail.  Mail doesn't stop sharp projectiles as well as it does other things.  A cane/chain mail penetration test would be very interesting to see and I hope you do one and post the results. 

As far as your comment about hunting targets and circles in the dirt let me just say--I get slightly miffed at the implication of so many members of the primitive archery world that pass-through shots and dead animals are the only thing that matters.  As if primitive archery is so pathetically narrow in its scope.  For thousands of years bow cultures have been engaging in flight shooting, warfare, target competitions, using bows as musical instruments, entertaining with tricky shots, and so on.  I'm an avid hunter but I don't make the mistake of thinking that hunting is the only thing a bow is supposed to do.  Hunting is illeagle in many parts of the world and it may one day be illeagle here.  What am I going to do, abandon my love for archery and take up tennis?  Not hardly. 

You assume that I need to educate myself and try new things because I would say something so foolish as "In terms of power and accuracy, English longbows are pretty brilliant."  I'm sure you could teach me a great deal about native American bows, but could it be that you don't understand the English design well enough to see why I said they were 'brilliant'?  If you don't care about them enough to study the design, why would you be upset when someone like me does study them and finds them to be something special?

J. D. Duff

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 12:55:41 pm »
I have a real nice horn beam stav about 72" long, I think this morning I will go out and try to turn it into about a 120# flatbow to see how it will stack against the elbs as far as cast. Probably wont have to take off all that much wood LOL. Steve

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 01:35:28 pm »
Sounds like a good project.  How wide do you suspect it will be for 120#s?  My most heavy flatbow draws about 100#s at 30". 

J. D. Duff

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 03:12:56 pm »
JD, the stave is 2 1/8 wide, Will have to play the design by feel I think, leaving it wide down to 12" before tip right now and center 10" of handle and fades will be stiff, I think I will be lucky to get it to 28", Curious how it will perform against an elb of equal weight. Steve