Author Topic: Hickory backed red oak long bow  (Read 5320 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Hickory backed red oak long bow
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:29:23 am »
I got frustrated with a couple other projects...including all of my recent archery related projects...today and shucked off all my normal responsibilities and made this thing.

I've been trying to make a few other styles of bow but I had to fall back on this one...I can do these all day long.  If I could sell one a day I could quit my job.  Found a "fair" board to work with and I had some hickory cut into 1/8" sheets...one was good enough for backing.  Glued it up, shaped it with a hatchet, fine tuned the tiller with a sureform, and did some sanding and finishing.

The handle is hemp wrapped around the stave then saturated with TBII.  The nocks are white tail antler.  The back is laid over with patterned cotton fabric.

Stands 71" end to end, 69.5" nock to nock.  Draws 55lbs at 28".  About 2" of strnig follow...I never can seem to get away from that with red oak.  My only real disappointment is that I have a real fancy string made by Zanderpomo that I wanted to use, but it's too short.  My favorite part is the same as it is with all of my red oak bows:  I LOVE the wood grain!

I'll do some drawn/strung pics tomorrow.  It's too late to go shoot tonight.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline bubby

Re: Hickory backed red oak long bow
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:03:20 am »
look's good, remember even Howard Hill liked a little string follow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:23:14 am »
Beauty! Love that cloth backing. I've got a lot of old silk ties for future bow backings.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:58:46 am »
remember even Howard Hill liked a little string follow, Bub

...and if I could say I did it on purpose I would be okay with that lol.  They always seem to shoot really good, though, and that's what really matters, I sippose.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »
im working on a bow now that i wanted some deflex in....... its still not done cureing so i figured,  think its about time to string it up and do some shooting to get my "deflex" ::)
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »
Mack,
     Nothin wrong with a "D" section long bow....been a whole lot of stuff killed with 'em. Looks damned fine to this old man.
     Curious about the string, though. At the finished draw weight, and with a hickory backer can ya make the bow shorter? Seems like ya got plenty of strength there. Or maybe make a "little brother" to it?
rich

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:06:04 pm »
Looking good. Do you have any braced or full draw photos?

How are you tillering your bows? When I went from using a tillering stick to a tree, I saw a tremendous drop in set in my bows. If you're using a tillering tree, I think the early stages of tillering are critical in avoiding large amounts of set. I usually spend a bit more time on the long string so by the time I get to a short string I just need to tweak the tiller a little and reduce the weight slightly before hitting my target. Seems to work well for me.

It also kind of looks like your red oak belly is rounded. Try leaving it flat. That may also help reduce set.

Anyway, it looks like a mighty fine bow! I'd be happy with it!

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »
I'll get the braced pics up this afternoon...I have to get a couple beads to keep my nock loops under control on my string first.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »
I didn't have someone there who could shoot me drawing it out so I'll have to post that one later.