Author Topic: Wire figures for a bow  (Read 4129 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Wire figures for a bow
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:35:15 am »
I've broken a lot of bows, lately.  Actually, I've broken every single one I've set up over the last year.  I've gone through about $50 in red oak boards, $100 in bamboo, and broken a couple of really nice maple and white oak staves.  What's really driving me nuts is that, right now, I have no bow.  It's going to make me go mad...and it's making me inadvertently rush my projects.  But I'm out of project money and out of project materials.

So yeah...I want a bow.  I'd prefer something ready to shoot, but unfinished.  Would consider good staves and such, and I always like having backing strips.

What I have to trade is my other art...one I'm apparently much better at.

That's an example (though one of my most popular).  I can do nearly any human pose in nearly any physical activity. The one pictured, grim reapers, and fly fishermen are my most ought after pieces.  They really sell from $20 up well into the hundreds depending on complexity and presentation.

That says it.

Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Dvshunter

Re: Wire figures for a bow
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:19:08 am »
Very cool artwork. I wish I could help you with the bow.
Dave
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:39:41 am »
What's your draw length and weight desired?  I have osage short staves in the 51" range if you'd like a bendy handled shorty and don't need to draw past 27".  I have other staves, but those are far enough along that I could probably rough one into a bow this weekend.  I like that wire archer.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:46:01 am »
I really prefer to have a 30" draw length...not really out of necessity because I seldom draw past 26~28", but I do have a tendency to over-draw on occasion.  A short draw would probably be fine if I marked my arrows to keep it in mind.

I'm looking for 45~50lbs.  Maybe even a little lighter.  Something that I can shoot casually all day without worrying about stressing myself over it.  It won't be used to hunt or anything.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:53:45 am »
It's your call. Shortys begin to stack if you try to overdraw them. Let me see what else I have.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »
I would feel more comfortable with a 30" draw, just in case.  If I get a bow for a wire figure or two, though, I'm certainly not going to complain about what I get, no matter what it is.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:47:05 pm »
Started a bow, here's the URL to see progress: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27387.0.html

George
St Paul, TX