Author Topic: Saturday Bow  (Read 15249 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Saturday Bow
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 10:55:15 am »
That's looking good, should make a good shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 11:17:57 am »
Looking great, George! Let the stave determine the design! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 11:28:34 am »
Thanks guys.  I get a chuckle out of this bow every time I look at it.  I had to leave that narrow section thicker to avoid a hinge there and it's pretty obvious in the pics, makes it look odd to me. :)  I hadn't thought about that Del, that narrow limb is more ELB-ish.  I'm leaning towards putting that limb on top, will that help on the uphill or downhill shots? :D  Yes Jawge, I didn't have much choice this time, had to listen to the wood.  I'm sure it's better that way too.

Makenzie, you had talked about getting an unfinished bow.  Any time you want to stop me and take over I'll send it your way.  Otherwise I'll keep going.

Interestingly, I discovered I have an exact duplicate of this bow roughed out and the back completed to make a kid's bow but not started yet. Must've been a sister stave.  Tonight I'll compare them, perhaps there's another bow like this one in the works?  Back when I roughed it out I just assumed that spot was too narrow to make into a hunting weight bow.  :-\  I think I was wrong about that.  Or maybe I'll put it up for a trade as-is if anybody's interested.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 06:50:41 pm »
That's looking good George. Go ahead and finish her up - i wanna see it all slicked up and shootin. Don't worry about that heat down there ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »
I would normally be ready to take over at any point...but I'm going to have let a pro do mroe of the tillar work on the funky limb.  I don't have the confidence to tackle something like that yet.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
I would normally be ready to take over at any point...but I'm going to have let a pro do mroe of the tillar work on the funky limb.  I don't have the confidence to tackle something like that yet.

O crap, which pro do you want me to send it to?  You got an old redneck workin on it now. ;) ;D 

I will do my best though.  Tonight I hope to take it to about 26" or so, getting the bend correct and even.  Then, when I quit tonight I'll fill that borer hole that's right off the fade with an epoxy/osage sawdust mix.  Since you want it to go to 30" I don't want to stress the limb that much before I get that hole filled.  I'll do my darndest to avoid it, but we might get a little set going with that much bend.

You're lovin it up there in paradise aren't you Paul??  We're closing in on a new record in Dallas for the most consecutive days over 100 degrees.  The record is 42, we're at 39 and the 10 day forecast has all 10 days over 100.  We have a ways to go to beat the most days in a summer over 100.  That record is 69 and we're at 46.  Sure hope we don't get that one too. :o 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 08:33:08 pm »
Just thought I would share and it seemed, since it's in trade for your work George, that this was a good thread to do it in.

Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »
I may cut the mane off...it was a suggestion that I tried.  It didn't come out quite like I expected, but it does look better in person...but I'm not sure I like it myself.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 08:55:29 pm »
That looks like some work, more than I thought.  I agree on the mane, not sure it works. Is there a way to make the tusks lighter colored?  They are the only part on a boar that is consistently the same color, ivory.  Anyway, no matter what, it's gonna be cool. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 08:59:49 pm »
I can file the tusks down and they'll be shiny...they'll pop.  I wasn't going to do it becuase rust will become an issue, but with the smaller wire I used it may be a concern no matter what so I'll end up sealing the thing anyway.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 01:37:05 am »
That sounds like it'll work. :)

This bow is fighting me on that funny limb.  I have it tillered out to 25" but I'm not getting the outboard section of that weird limb to bend at all.  Driving me crazy. ???  Right now it is pulling 50lbs at 25".  Looks to me like the tip on that left limb is not coming down as far as the right one is.  I'm worried that limb is going to start taking some set if I don't get more of that limb working.

You can see the flat spot on the braced picture as well.

I'll keep at it.  I have the borer hole filled with epoxy so tomorrow that won't be an issue.  The daughter and granddaughter are heading home tomorrow night.  I won't get much bow work done, will be busy chauffeuring grandma who will be grieving.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 04:36:53 am »
Ever done a Falconer with a hawk on his glove?

Only a vaguely related thread jack...sorry George!

That's my first attempt at trying to make a bird from more than one kind of metal.  No "glove"...I might wind some copper around the arm later but it's hard to do that and get the bird sewn on.  I still need to tighten up the feathers...maybe add a few more but damn is it arduous.  I don't like the bow, either...came out too big.  This one will require lots of tweaking.

George, I'm cutting a base for yours tomorrow.  I snipped that mane off...really does look a lot better, now, though I think the head still needs just a bit of work.  It'll be done tomorrow either way, though.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 04:55:32 am »
That sounds like it'll work. :)

This bow is fighting me on that funny limb.  I have it tillered out to 25" but I'm not getting the outboard section of that weird limb to bend at all.  Driving me crazy. ???  Right now it is pulling 50lbs at 25".  Looks to me like the tip on that left limb is not coming down as far as the right one is.  I'm worried that limb is going to start taking some set if I don't get more of that limb working.

You can see the flat spot on the braced picture as well.

I'll keep at it.  I have the borer hole filled with epoxy so tomorrow that won't be an issue.  The daughter and granddaughter are heading home tomorrow night.  I won't get much bow work done, will be busy chauffeuring grandma who will be grieving.

George

Whoops...missed this.  Yeah the tip on the funky end doesn't seem to be moving at all.  Now, I'm not a skilled or knowledgeable enough bowyer to know all the negativie ramifications of "set"...if that limb took a bit of set to match the rest of the tiller, would that be a problem?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2011, 05:24:53 am »
Hey Makenzie, I love the falconer, that middle pic is great, all fluid motion.
I know what you mean about stuff looking different in the flesh, you don't get the feel from a photo always.
Nice work
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2011, 06:06:37 am »
The bow and the wire are coming togher nicely  ;) keep the progress pics.comming ...great job guys!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...