Author Topic: Saturday Bow  (Read 15247 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Saturday Bow
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:03:16 pm »
I'm trying to see if I can do a quick bow to trade makenzie71 for a wire art.  Here's progress so far.

and here's where I am now (stopping for breakfast).  I have 20 minutes invested so far.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Saturday Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:09:18 pm »
George, that looks a little too straight for you. lol.   ;) 
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 01:21:18 pm »
You go get em George!   8)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 02:00:47 pm »
That is straight.. Is that the stave I brought you? I'm sure it will be a fine bow:)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 02:05:00 pm »
That's cleaning up nicely :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 02:53:03 pm »
Goosebumps!  Just let me know what you'd like to have...I know you like the flaming archer so I'll get one of those set aside.  Would you like anything else?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 03:01:27 pm »
Thanks guys.  Nope Mr. C, though I did look hard at yours.  I wanted a little more seasoned wood.  I have this guy roughed out now.  It has one bad borer hole.  I'm down 15 heartwood rings (14 in this picture):

and I don't want to lose any more limb width at the narrow end.  I'll fill that hole with epoxy/sawdust.  It is right at the beginning of the working limb.  This stave has pretty decent ring thickness.

Looks like this now:

Like almost every osage bow it has one nice limb I could do any design with (the near one) and one problem limb.  In this case it is so narrow that it will look more like an ELB than a flatbow.  I decided to go ahead and take out the twist in the recurve end:

As soon as that one is cool I'll swap ends and flip the tip on the far end and try to match this end which will be real gentle.

I think I'll jump in the pool and cool off.  I'll think about it makenzie, not sure what else I'd go for.

George
St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 03:31:55 pm »
15 rings in 1 morning? i struggle with 1 a day ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 03:35:10 pm »

Yeah, ol' Georgie moves wood like a beaver amped up on amphetemines!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 03:39:48 pm »
I'll think about it makenzie, not sure what else I'd go for.

George

Just let me know.  I've done all kinds and can do pretty much any pose.  You got any hobbies other than archery?  I get a lot of requests for fly fishermen (another big seller) and guitarists/violinists/cellists/etc...I did one a couple years back for a guy in a wheelchair.  He wanted a little figure in a wheelchair doing a handstand.  Nearly anything is game.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 04:02:28 pm »

LOL. I took 14 off at 1 time. The last one is the only one to worry about. ;)

I've had a setback. The limb tip straightened up nicely. When I went to do the other end the oil showed some cracks in the belly I didn't know were there. So the tip flipping is out of the question. I then removed the heat treated wood from the recurve end and heated it again to remove the recurve. I was just about done when my heat gun died. It'll have a little left I'm afraid. Bummer. I guess it's time to head for Lowes. My wood is waay too crooked to function without a heat gun.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »
Makenzie: It would be cool  if you could pull off making a beaver chewing down an Osage tree.  8)
Nice Progress for one day George.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 04:10:46 pm »
Damn George if you were next door I'd toss one of my half a dozen in on the deal.  Bummer.

Makenzie: It would be cool  if you could pull off making a beaver chewing down an Osage tree.  8)

I have a chunk of osage in the garage that would be perfect...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 04:12:20 pm »
Nice Progress for one day George.

I have a cartoon of a lumberjack holding a beaver by the neck, he's pouring coffee straight from the ol' enamel pot into the beaver.  The headline reads, "The first organic, wholistic chainsaw."

Yeah, warped, I know, maybe not even that funny.  But I liked it.  And now I'm imagining Georgie with buck teeth and guzzling coffee straight from the pot as he walks to his bow bench. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 04:17:17 pm »
Actually I was thinking about it and I think you should put that archer shooting an arrow into a hog.  Kind of a wire diorama? 

Anyway, I plan to get a string on this yet today, hoping the bending I did is sufficient.  Don't think I need to do any out in the working limb so I should be good to flex it today.  If it weren't so hot I'd be further.  I only have about 2 and a half hours in it so far.  What'll slow me down is wrapping that thin tip where the cracks need to be protected.  Gonna have to get that olive oil off the limb before anything'll stick.

George
St Paul, TX