Author Topic: A bow from a board.  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Frodo

A bow from a board.
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:58:17 pm »
After reading The Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol 2, I really want to try and build a bow frow a board. Anyone have any suggestions on buying a board or three? Or just any helpful tips and/or horror stories?

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: A bow from a board.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:00:14 pm »
http://poorfolkbows.com/index.html

He covers traditional and non traditional things.  Replace the fiberglass with bamboo and you'll be all cozy with everyone here.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:04:07 pm »
Frodo, read George's site. It will tell you what to look for in a board and how to go about turning it into a bow.  Red oak from Home Depot or Lowe's is probably your best bet for availability unless you know of a lumber yard that carries local hardwoods.
  Did you move to Clarksville Tenn? If so you have Pappy and the gang at Twin oaks to help you out. Maybe we'll get to meet at the Tenn. Classic next spring.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Frodo

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:09:46 pm »
Frodo, read George's site. It will tell you what to look for in a board and how to go about turning it into a bow.  Red oak from Home Depot or Lowe's is probably your best bet for availability unless you know of a lumber yard that carries local hardwoods.
  Did you move to Clarksville Tenn? If so you have Pappy and the gang at Twin oaks to help you out. Maybe we'll get to meet at the Tenn. Classic next spring.  8)

Pappy and the gang are the reason I got into traditional hunting! I was Pappy's son's little brother in our fraternity ;) I have not been around hunting or the cabin for about two years.  I do need to get back down there and see everybody. Thanks to both of you for the info.