Author Topic: Bamboo flooring  (Read 1474 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Bamboo flooring
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:46 pm »
I'm sure this is beat to death...I tried searching for it and found a lot of posts on other types of bamboo flooring, but not what I'm looking at.

I was rummaging through Lowe's and I saw these things.  They're crescent shaped, about 8" long, about 3" wide, and about 3/8" thick at the deepest.  They're made to, I guess, fill the gaps in floor sections.  They're very bendy.  I was considering using a piece as a bow belly.  Has anyone else ever tried this stuff?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Bamboo flooring
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:57:41 pm »
Crescent shaped? interesting, they are probably for covering a joint where flooring comes together. How wide are they?, never tried it, but I'll be happy to give them a test run.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Bamboo flooring
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:21:34 am »
Can you post a link or a pic?  I've had issues with getting the correct terminology/product on flooring.  I found two types of "vertical" grain.  One with the bamboo glued edge to ede to make the width of the plank then two layers under that top staggered like bricks.  One place calls this horizontal.  Other places call horizontal something that looks more like parque flooring.  Literaly short pieces going across the length fo the board.  But I found another source where the bamboo is laminated "belly to back" for the thickness of the board then edge joined for the width.
So in this one there are layers along the edge where you can see the rind was planed off and then another layerd added and so forth.

I'm not clear which is ideal to use in laminated bows for central cores or for laminating up an all bamboo bow.