Author Topic: Glue for Osage Splice  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Glue for Osage Splice
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:19:05 pm »
Has anyone used Resintite or Araldite Precision successfully on an Osage splice? (Yup, Dels got some Osage, Dels got some Osage, sorry I shall stop skipping around and singing shortly...)
I can't get Urac in the UK and Resorcinol is V expensive and I only need a little as I don't really go in for laminates (Oh and I'm a tightwad ::))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dbb

Re: Glue for Osage Splice
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:42:12 pm »
Try and find a danish glue named uredana 450,its the same thing as urac,just another brand.
I havent tried it yet,im waiting for a backorder atm.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:54:59 pm »
Several years back I used a 2 part epoxy on an osage fish tail splice and it has held fine.  Seems it was a J B Weld  epoxy, fairly quick drying, maybe 15 minutes.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline snag

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:37:20 pm »
I was watching Gary Davis' video. In the section about splices he emphasis' using DAP Resoucinal because it is waterproof.  It's a two part glue.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:53 pm »
hi Del,   I use 2 part epoxy whenever I need a strong joint, it does for everything , easy to use and fairly cheap. Axminster Tools do a very good one where you mix your own 'filler' to the thickness you want, that will hold anything together. Did you know that the Hurricane fighter planes of WW2 where glued together with epoxy!!! UK epoxy resin also supplies a proffesional epoxy but you have to buy more.. Lasts for years though
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 05:49:43 pm »
I just did an osage splice with TBIII. Then I heavily wrapped it in leg sinew and glue. Let it sit for about 3 weeks. It tightened right up and is solid as a rock. The leather handle wrap will further protect it.  The splice was a very tight fit, that matters with TBIII.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:49 pm »
has anyone had any luck with regular hide glue on osage splices?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 02:06:09 am »
Buy some urac-185 and you will have a bomb proof splice.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 05:47:13 am »
Thanks guys, the problem is with obtaining some of these glues.
Anyhow I've tried Resintite as it was available quick and cheap, about £9 for a BIG tub. (I think it's the same as the old fashioned Cascamite). If it does the job we can add it to the glue list.
It's supposed to have some gap filling properties too...
Not sure my splice was the best in the world :-[, but of course when you try to add backset it changes the angles slightly and hours of fiddling and fetting are needed to try and get the joint snug.
It was a battle between my impatience and my perfectionism (A thousand Quatlous on the impatience!)
Del

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:11:02 pm »
How did I miss this Del?  I always use 2-part epoxy and the slower it dries the better it works.  5-min epoxy is not your best choice.  You're probably already done with the glue-up, how did it work?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 02:37:32 pm »
Hi, yes I used Resintite in the end, cheap and easilly obtainable, seems OK so far.
Del