Author Topic: latest knives + massive overshot  (Read 1984 times)

Offline aaron

latest knives + massive overshot
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:10:25 pm »
here are a couple knives I made recently. The one with the white blade is a thick novaculite  retouched flake hafted in a deer bone. The other is a thick danish flint biface in a red deer antler- both have a tang  almost as long as the blade. either fits in the birch bark sheath i wove at Echoes in Time. Pigment paints and goat rawhide on both.
Behind them is a large preform I was working on today- Made from "riley dacite" and knapped with the elk hammer pictured- I was pretty happy with the hand-sized flakes, but stopped after going a little to far with one massive overshot.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: latest knives + massive overshot
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 05:20:54 pm »
Man, I love workin me some dacite. Looks like you got all of that flake and then some, too bad it overshot so big. Cool knives..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43:31 pm »
 That Dacite looks like what I have, heard it was called "butter". Really nice knives, ya made.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:10:16 am »
Man that is a serious overshot! Looks like yo got some nice spalls of it though.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
Sometimes ya can stop overshots by keeping a finger a little up from the other side.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:24:48 am »
tower, can you explain that a bit more?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:03:59 am »
I'll try. When I set up a platform for an overshot I put a finger or two about 1/4 in from the other side & push in to the platform & this usually stops the flake at the fingertips witha  hinge. On a percussion flake it's a short flake to feather it in, on a pressuer flake you apply pressuer to feather it in. There the best way to thin for me. It leaves beautiful flake scars.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:51:43 pm »
Still trying to control overshots on my knapping.  Yours looks great!  Lots of energy there...you smacked it pretty hard.  I think I would have cracked the piece in half.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr