Author Topic: Red cedar long bow  (Read 11748 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Red cedar long bow
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:07:36 am »
Here is an ELB I made from rocky mtn juniper ( aka colorado red cedar) that I recently gave to my friend Ben.  The bow has black steer horn nocks and a horn strike plate.  The bow draws 37 # @ 28", but Ben will be shooting at 26".  Ben's been shooting in the recurve division at our local club meets, but now will shoot in the primitive division.  More competition for me!
M-P

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Badger

Re: Red cedar long bow
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 02:37:54 am »
Very nice, I am sure he will enjoy it, is that the same bow at full draw, the color looks different but it might be the light. Steve

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 12:28:43 pm »
Great looking bow.  Any idea what genus and species your juniper is? Got your bow bookmarked for July Self Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 01:28:52 pm »
Great looking bow from a difficult wood. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 02:18:42 pm »
Rocky Mountain Juniper(Juniper Scopulorum)
 It was originally thought to be a subspecies of Eastern Red Cedar. Very similar tree except its berries require two years to mature rather than one. Hybrids are found where the two species overlap in range, so they are virtually identical in genetic make-up.
 Pat

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 04:47:29 pm »
Very good bow, so are the working properties it similar to cedar?
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 06:47:39 pm »
Nice looking bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 07:11:32 pm »
That is a pretty piece of wood.  I would also like to know how the wood was to work.  Are you sure it is Rocky Mountain Juniper?  Colorado also has Utah Juniper and Oneseed Juniper.  I still haven't figured out how to positively tell the Utah and Rocky Mountain types apart.   ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 09:16:06 pm »
Hi Folks,  Thanks for your remarks and questions.   I've identified the wood as colorado red cedar, which is a popular term for J. scopulorum.  The stave was actually collected in north central Nebraska where hybridization with eastern red cedar is big possibility.   I'm not familiar enough with other juniper species to give much advice on identification.  The wood is very similar to the lumber yard eastern red cedar ( J. virginianum) in appearance and working properties.  The grove I'm collecting staves from has numerous trees that are 5-6 inches through the base and ~ 50 growth rings.  It's not high elevation yew, but it does seem a little denser and springier than the lumber yard eastern red cedar I've worked. 
This bow wound up being mainly sapwood with just enough heartwood coloring in the handle area to keep it from looking boring.  I was shooting for a 5-10 pound higher draw weight, but !!!!!   Oh well, it was just the right weight for Ben.
M-P
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 11:57:24 pm »
It's a fine bow. Congratulations. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 12:34:36 am »
I like how the heartwood accents the limbs and handle area. A very distinctive and fine looking bow.
Gordon

Offline jpitts

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 01:07:33 am »
It's beautiful. Do you have any close ups?
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 07:46:03 am »
Fine looking job,I am sure he will give you a run for your money with that one.It's nice to have friends like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 12:07:01 pm »
Very, very nice bow, well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI