Author Topic: more leather pad work  (Read 11694 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: more leather pad work
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 12:38:24 am »
That really cool about the cancer point.  I glad you did that for her.  If you ever need anymore for a cancer survivor let me know and I will ship it to you.  My late wife died of cancer almost ten years ago so I think that was a real cool thing you did.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Timo

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 12:01:53 am »
Most anvils I have seen are made from stone, used under the point while pressure flaking to help flake terminations and to keep the work piece off the leather if you want long flake travel. Adjust it underneath in front or behind where you want your flake to term. It will absorb the flakes energy and stop the travel,or  move it up a little to help increase it. (clear as mud)? ???

I use it on occasion when I need to run some across the face, or when I want a flake to stop at a certain place. It  takes a bit of getting use to but it will work.

I had a stone one, but broke it in a few pieces one day so I decided to make me one from horn. This one is made from moose antler, and is already starting to show some wear .

Offline Timo

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 12:05:39 am »
I stole this one from Marty Reuters, post over on PP. IT shows a better pic of it in use.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 12:19:30 am »
Hey timo, if I am working a smaller point do I use a smaller one? I made another point just as fast as I could to review what I learned yesterday and snapped off the other side because of flake travel.  This happened in the middle of the point.   The anvil idea should resolve it.  I am not going to post a picture of this point because it looks like the last 15 lol.   I am going to hate going back to work in a week. Vacation is almost over. 

Offline Tower

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 12:35:05 am »
I've never used an anvil. I use angle to run & stop my flakes. Angle & pressure . I will have to try an anvil. 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:17 am »
Hey tower do you occasionally pressure flake an over shot or do you now have control of that?

Offline Tower

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 01:27:33 am »
I've learned to use them. Every once in a while one will get away from me. But I use them for most of my "primary" thinning. Both in percussion & pressuer .
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!