Author Topic: Trying again! Need help!!!  (Read 3649 times)

Offline threeundr

Trying again! Need help!!!
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:45:58 pm »
  This is my first time posting on this forum. I have followed this web site for a couple of years with great interest. I have built a few board bows with no success. :( It has been a year and a half since I have tried building a bow. I started a bow and got side tracked. Now after all this time I am feeling motivated to try again. The bow I am working on is a Hickory backed Birch bow. I took a Yellow Birch board and backed it with an 1/8th inch thick piece of Hickory. I have the profile all cut out and have been tillering it. I have taken my time, trying not to create any hinges. So far so good. This is my first time working with Yellow Birch and I don't want to mess it up. I have the limbs bending seven inches on the long string and the limbs are bending even. When should I switch to the short string? I would love to hear any advice ya'll can give on this project. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Leonard
Leonard Smith
Whitehouse,Tx.

Offline BowJunkie

Re: Trying again! Need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:26:08 am »
Do you have a picture you can post Leonard?
Also welcome aboard.
Johnny
in Texas
Johnny
in Texas

Offline threeundr

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:33:37 am »
 I am trying to find my camara. We just got back from vacation and I can't find anything. By the way the bow is 67" NTN, 2" at the fades tapering to 1/2" at the tips.

Thanks, Leonard
Leonard Smith
Whitehouse,Tx.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 01:00:18 am »
Welcome Leonard.  If you ever get over to Dallas stop by my shop and I'll be happy to help you.  Having said that, I try to get the bow on a short string as early as I can. Make sure you're using a stringer.  I would guess I'm pulling the bow more than 7 inches before I go to the short string.  I have 1 string with a loop on one and and the other I tie a timber hitch on so I can set it up to be shorter than the long string, but longer than a correct string for the bow.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline threeundr

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 01:05:45 am »
  Thanks Johnny and George. I found my camera and took some pics. Now if I can figure out how to post them here! Pics soon to come hopefully. George I do go to Dallas every now and then and would love to see your shop.

Thanks, Leonard
Leonard Smith
Whitehouse,Tx.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:15:03 am »
It's not much to look at Leonard, with all that osage shavings and dust all over... ;D

There's also osage laying all over the driveway.  Bring your splitting clothes and take a stave home.  Most of my old osage is so crooked I wouldn't wish that on ya.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:20:13 am »
Leonard, I generally go to a short string when I get 8" to 10" of tip movement. Be sure both limbs are fairly close and brace the bow at about 3".
  Welcome to PA. Looking forward to seeing your new bow. Ask any questions you may have and someone(at least one) will have an answer for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline threeundr

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:31:43 am »
  George, it couldn't  be any messier than my little bow room! Lol ! Pat that sounds good. I am going to try and post pics. I hope this works.

Thanks, Leonard
Leonard Smith
Whitehouse,Tx.

Offline threeundr

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 01:35:45 am »
  I think I might have my long string too long. It has a loop on one end and a timber hitch on the other so it is adjustable. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Leonard
Leonard Smith
Whitehouse,Tx.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:50:54 am »
Yes that string is too long. Make your long string about the same length as your bow.  Looking good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 01:51:38 am »
Get the long string as short as you can.  Looks like you need to get some more bending near the handle area of both limbs. Leave mid-limb on both alone for now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline threeundr

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 02:04:56 am »
  Thanks guy's. I will try again tomorrow with a shorter string. I will post some more pics of my progress. I appreciate all your help!

Leonard
Leonard Smith
Whitehouse,Tx.

Offline threeundr

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 10:57:49 pm »
   Well I finally found some time to get back on my bow tillering. I have done a little more reading and finally got my string length right. Today I was able to get it on the short string. Right now I have it braced about 4 1/4" from the back of the handle. I am pulling it 19" right now and it is right at 42#. I have not pulled it past 42# yet. My target weight is 48# @ 28". I am trying to avoid hinges as this has been my downfall in the past. The bow has about 1 5/8" string follow so far. I glued it up flat this time. Hind sight being 20/20 I wish I had put about 2" of reflex in this bow so maybe I could end up neutral. Well live and learn. I am posting three pics. One unstrung, one braced @ 4 1/4" from the back of the handle and one at 19" draw. Any comments on my tiller and how I should proceed from here would be appreciated. Also when do I switch to full brace height?

Thanks, Leonard
Leonard Smith
Whitehouse,Tx.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 12:29:44 am »
Keep an eye on those hinges I marked them in Orange.
Don't scrap them anymore till you get the handle area reduced.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline threeundr

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 01:25:50 am »
 Thanks Johnny, that oval really helps me to see what's really going on there. I will work on the handle some. I have had some bows in the past that bent too much in the handle and I guess I am being too careful.

Thanks, Leonard
Leonard Smith
Whitehouse,Tx.