Author Topic: Mollegabet tillering help!  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Stingray45

Mollegabet tillering help!
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »
Hey guys, need some help tillering a mollegabet bow I've been working on. I started off with a 66" tip to tip redoak board. I made the handle 6" long and 1.5" wide, the fades are 2" long and they taper out from 1.5" to 2.5". The working limb is 2.5" wide x 14" long. Then I have that tapering down to 3/4" wide over 2" of length as the other fade was. That 3/4" tapers down to 1/2" and is 12" long. The working limb is 1/2" thick uniformly and the non-working "levers" are 3/4" thick. I saw some different measurements by half eye that he can get an 80# bow out of 2" thick limbs. I was working on my bow last night and heard a crack as I pulled her to 23" on the tillering tree. Raised a splinter just coming out of the fade on the one side, about 1/2" long and about 3/8" or so from the side. She was pulling about 50# @28". Can anyone give me any advice on how to proceed to salvage the bow. I was thinking of thinning the limbs down to 2" wide and backing with rawide. But after that I'm still going to need to make adjustments to get out to 28". Do I need to taper the non working levers? I didnt think this would matter since they are non working. On fixing the bow, should I trim 3/8" off each side of the working limb, which would make them 1-3/4" wide and would completely remove the splinter as far as I can tell. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Mollegabet tillering help!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:48:26 pm »
I usually don't get the bow bending near the fades till near end of tillering...I always get midlimb bending first.

Also round all edges.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:10 pm »
you can trim the workin limb down but your gonna need more meat to get high weight . consider glueing hickory backin strip on . also watch the bend in the fades mollies tend to concentrate the force there.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:37:21 pm »
I think that was my problem was that I was pulling it too far and it was still too stiff coming out of the fade where I got the splinter. I actually ended up deciding to thin the limbs down because the bow was originally for the red oak board bow cookoff and the rules are no backings so I wanted to maintain the bow for that. I only need to get to 45# so I slimmed it down. Will update you guys on how it ends up.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?