Author Topic: crab apple question  (Read 2251 times)

Offline missilemaster

crab apple question
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:13:06 pm »
Hi all,
               I am going to be cutting some crab apple soon and was wondering how I should dry it? I read that this wood likes to check and warp so I was thinking I should seal the ends, remove the bark, take it down to just above bow dimentions and clamp it to a form to dry. The piece Im looking at cutting is billet material, about 42" long and 7" thick. Has anyone used this wood for bows?

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: crab apple question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:47:09 am »
Howdy,  A crabapple bow won BOM a while back.    Check out the  "You've Got to be Kidding" Birdseye Crabapple Bow thread.
I haven't used crabapple yet, but I've tried plum and that has a real rep for being hard to dry.   Plum has worked for me if I split it. leave the bark on and then paint the entire stave with tung oil.  It might help to clamp it down to to minimize warping.  I suggest something similar for crabapple.  Removing the bark would probably increase the chances of checks and splits.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:55:22 am »
All of the crabapple around here grows spiraled. Study ther bark well so you cut a straight growing tree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 12:58:24 am »
I agree with M-P.  Not sure what it is about the fruit tree woods but I cut a nice Apple tree stave this spring, debarked, worked to profile and sealed the heck out of it and it checked horribly through the heart and twisted like crazy.  If I was to try Apple again I'd leave the bark on, seal the ends and just let it dry in a corner for a year or two.

Good luck with it.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:50:59 am »
I've made a couple crab apple branch bows.  The wood is VERY hard and dense and fairly easy to work

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:38:43 pm »
I cut a crabapple stave once, and it looked like the unholy union of a pretzel and a corkscrew by the time it seasoned out. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.