Author Topic: Heritage Longbows?  (Read 15073 times)

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
Heritage Longbows?
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:33:56 pm »
Has anybody worked with them? Planning on getting a lemonwood/hickory ELB from there.  >:D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline Ian.

Re: Heritage Longbows?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:03 pm »
I think he's fairly new, interesting to hear what peoples experiences are. I think archers review did something about him.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:29:49 pm »
I read that, the only reason im considering him is because the bow I have in mind is 215 pounds = 333 CDN dollars, im Canadian so, I dont know about USD

Offline Ian.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:05:07 am »
I would be careful what the postage is.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »
52 Pounds for shipping! Ehh, I think Ill just buy an ipe/boo stave for that price  O:)

Offline Ian.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 08:20:00 pm »
I see it a lot where bow makers charge over the odds for postage, I think they use it for added profit.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:21:40 am »
Maybe but it does cost a lot when you insure the bow fully. The quotes that pop up on most delivery companies will only cover you for £50.00 and really bump up when you enter the actual value needing to be insured.
Young bowyer - I can make you a hickory backed lemonwood elb for the same money. I am starting up as a bowyer in the very near future my site will be robertsbow.com
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:53:23 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline Ian.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:14:35 am »
I use inter-parcel they use TNT it cost £15 for an insured package of up to 10kg 220/20/20cm I sent bows in the middle of winter when there was a few inches of snow everywhere, and they were still able to do it next day. Im not sure what they charge abroad but it may be worth a look.

I know you make quite a few bows you may want to try them.

Offline Heritage Longbows

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 01:19:54 pm »
I send my bows out all over the world as far as Australia, New Zealand, Japan etc. I send them out insured and at cost, the price of shipping is bad enough without adding more on, I do not use it to make extra profit  >:( 
The cost of shipping differs depending on what country the package goes to. Its also limited to certain carriers because of the length of the parcel. I have shopped around to get the best prices for my customers so they dont get stung.

I have been making bows for over 2 years now full time and there are a lot of happy customers, also people who have made their own on my courses and in that time I have only had problems/failures with 8 bows that I have made. Ask about and do your homework before you buy anyones bow, its the sensible thing to do and try some if you can. My bows must be ok as I sell them through 2 retail shops at the moment ( The Longbow shop and Silver Arrow archery) and will be supplying Clickers very soon. I also had an enquiry from an Archery shop in The Netherlands yesterday who wants to become a distributor so I must be doing something right.

If you want any info about me just ask, anyone who knows me on here will tell you I dont bull*hit and I tell you straight, my customer service is very important to me. info@heritage-longbows.co.uk
Also on Facebook just search for "Heritage" and you can see some photos and comments.

Nothing is impossible....it just takes a little longer :-)

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »
52£ for shipping is not that bad..
Try shipping anything the size of a bow out of Norway. I sent 5 bowstaves to England today. UPS are the cheapest alternative. But to be able to send it by UPS, I'll first have to drive to Oslo. That cost about 10£ in toll money, and about 25£ for the fuel.. Then, UPS charge about 200£ for sending a tube  of bowstaves to UK. (20x20x210cm tube)
The price of 1 and the price of 10 bowstaves in the same deliverance don't mean too much to the price though..

About 235£ for sending staves, but I don't add the driving cost so about 200 is the price I'll add to the final cost...

IF the national post service had been willing to send the same package, they would have charged 50 to 60£ for the same package, and I could have delivered it all at the nearest post office...
Why, WHY do they have this bad idea that they don't want to send anything over 105cm to foregin countries!?!
 >:(

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 03:26:57 am »
IF the national post service had been willing to send the same package, they would have charged 50 to 60£ for the same package, and I could have delivered it all at the nearest post office...
Why, WHY do they have this bad idea that they don't want to send anything over 105cm to foregin countries!?!
 >:(

Most are the same, but from my own experience at least one will do longer than 105cm. Had a partially completed stave sent to me from Hungary, cannot remember what the actual stave length was but the bow is approx 1.9m or 75" long and I doubt I shortened it much if at all as this is a short bow to me. Anyway the supplier sent it Hungarian Post, who flew it over to Australian Post who duly delivered it to my local post office. The folks at my post office moaned at me for the parcel being too long  ;D  From memory it cost $115 to post.

So there seem to be some postal organisations that do ship long parcels.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 01:40:48 pm »
I read that, the only reason im considering him is because the bow I have in mind is 215 pounds = 333 CDN dollars, im Canadian so, I dont know about USD
Shipping costs, etc., aside... who is going to shoot this 215# bow?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »
I believe he was referencing the price (English pounds) ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 08:13:21 pm »
 Anytime I've had someone in Europe want an Osage stave I've always tell them that shipping a Billet is a lot cheaper. Toy have the shipping plus the Custom's Fee to deal with.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 11:45:52 pm »
I believe he was referencing the price (English pounds) ???

Yes he was, as was shown by his "215 pounds = 333 CDN dollars"

Craig.