Author Topic: yew dimension ??  (Read 4840 times)

Offline sonny

yew dimension ??
« on: June 24, 2007, 01:07:31 pm »
sorry if I asked this before....
I have recently acquired a yew flatbow blank of the following dimensions: 64" long, 1-7/16" at it's widest, pyramid taper to 1/2" tips, stiff 5" handle. never having worked with yew before I know I asked if the 1/4" sapwood should be thinned- was told that 1/4" is perfect.
would like to know if the yew experts believe that I can get 55# at 26" from those dimensions  ?? ....I think I'm going to back it with sturgeon skin, mostly to cover the off-white sapwood as this will be used as a hunting bow...

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline sonny

Re: yew dimension ??
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:24:11 pm »
ttt
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 01:07:43 am »
That sounds like it should work. I have made shorter Yew flatbows bows for longer draws.

Mark

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:51:09 pm »
You should have plenty of wood there to hit your goal.
Gordon

330bull

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:14:46 pm »
Rather than Sturgeon skin, may I recommend Cherry Bark instead?  I'm 99% done with a cherry bark backed yew longbow and I have to admit, it looks gorgeous.  Then again I'm addicted to cherry bark now too.   :P

I'll post a pic tonight of necessary so you can see the contrast between the Purple, yellow and yew heartwood.

Let me know.

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 03:47:44 pm »
yes sir,, if you're willing to send me some cherry bark I'd gladly use it on this bow  ;)

actually, I planned on using sturgeon skin as I already have it on hand.

I would like to see pics of that bow....

330bull

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 06:11:06 pm »
I can send you some bark whenever but it sounds like your using the sturgeon eh?  No worries, just ask and I'll send you enough for a bow when you're ready.  Pics tonight.

330bull

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 11:14:03 pm »
Pics are posted!