Author Topic: Monster osage tree finished....final stave count  (Read 59585 times)

Offline jpitts

Re: Harvesting a monster osage tree Day 3
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2011, 01:44:21 am »
I didn't realise 68 was already taken. Make mine 69 then   ::)

What you need is an ol pulpwood truck with a winch boom. Then you could wrap the cable round them boys and drag-em outta there.
Ya'll be careful in that heat.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2011, 01:52:40 am »
depending on how there split i say 92...any way you do it its a BUTT LOAD...i wonder what is the biggest haul of staves from one tree...john

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2011, 09:43:58 am »
I live in Indiana.   I already sealed the ends once.  After I get them all out, I will seal them again and put some bug spray on them.  The black areas on the pieces are the natural splits of the tree.  The very core was dead and hollow.  The brown is only skin deep.  I can take a hatchet and scratch it off revealing a nice yellow color.

Keenan, I can't wait to see what you are able to make from that stave.  And I am drooling over the piece of yew that you gave me.  It was nice to meet you.  I wish we could have had more time to talk bows.

I am headed back out to work on it now before the heat gets to bad. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2011, 04:26:13 pm »
I headed out at 7:30 this morning and started splitting the biggest section.  It had a small limb coming off of it and that made it a little harder to split around, but I got it.  I split it into 9 pieces.  I was able to get 7 of them out of the creek by myself but I just couldn't get the last two. 

All of this is from the base section.

I used the quad to start pulling them to the field.  I was just about done when my Dad and brother-in-law came to help me.  We got the last two splits out of the creek and up to the field.  I am shot.  My back is aching, my legs are sore, and I strained my left bicep.  Luckily it isn't my hammer swinging arm ;D  Now I can rest for a couple of hours before heading to work tonight.  My Dad and brother-in-law said that they might load them up tonight and get them under a roof and out of the sun.

The landing zone

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Harvesting a monster osage tree Day 4
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »
Man your crazy!!!!  Awesome hall!!!! Man I wish I could get my hands on some of that stuff...

Please put me down for 82 for the stave count....

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2011, 11:34:10 pm »
Hey Clint, you are an animal, put me down for 81. Hows your Dad doing?
VB

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2011, 01:17:26 am »
He is doing good.  Thanks for asking.  He sure did love the knives.  Thanks again.  I think he is enjoying his retirement.  I just called him and he moved all of the splits for me.  He put them under a roof and its just in time.  We have rain heading our way.

Here is the updated list.

For the official stave count guessing contest, I have those 3 sections plus one more that is about 12-14" diameter.  The count will be from those 4 sections.  If I get any more, I will keep them seperate.     

SA - 39
Cracker - 43
Blackhawk - 48
Will H - 50
Ridgerunner - 65
Hobow - 36
beetlebailey1977 - 38
Stringstretcher - 70
Strongbow - 45
Seabass - 42
MWirwicki - 72
Elktracker - 47
Medic336 - 53
Ryoon4690 - 60
M-P - 44
Jham - 49
Soy - 55
Justin Snyder - 62
Lee Slikkers - 58
Hatcha - 80
Gus - 77
Matt S - 75
Triggerfinger - 73
Bow Nut - 59
Gutpile - 69
Toomanyknots - 90
Justin Snyder - 62
Weylin - 34
Rainman - 56
Fencepost - 40
Randman - 71
Stingray45 - 68
Mullet - 85
Sadie Jane - 52
Jpitts - 69
Tukey522 - 74
Marz5 - 87
Frankg - 63
Keenan - 114
Blacktail - 92
Ifrit617 - 82
Venisonburger - 81
Sidewinder - 88
Mikekeswick - 85
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:12:16 am by osage outlaw »

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2011, 02:48:29 pm »
Clint, I just stumbled upon your post here. Great find man. I had one four years ago . that was almost that big. It was a bear. I suppose I'll throw my hat in the ring on the guessing contest. Put me down for 88. It also matters what we consider a bow stave. Some of mine were primo, some were pretty good and some are still waiting for me to get bored with working with good staves ( they might be waiting a while). . I made some bows with them, traded, sold and gave away a bunch.   I do remember it was over 60. It had three lengths about 6ft and I think it was 16" at the base. No interior rot.  I only have one stave left out of the "matriarch" ( thats what I called it). I started on that bow this week. Will post when its finished.  Once again congrtats, its too bad I don't live close cuz I would come over and we could have a debarking party. Thats where the real work begins. Sometimes hard to get help on that part of the equation.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2011, 03:28:45 pm »
After what I have had to do to get that thing split and up the hill, sitting on my bench in front of a big fan with a drawknife doesn't sound half bad.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2011, 03:43:22 pm »
Should of had a contest to see how many swear words it takes you to get em all split out into staves. If I would guess, I would say,... hmmm,...., somewhere around half the number of blisters you got, divided by the loudness of the splitting painful pounding of the hammer echoing in your brain when you try to sleep, multiplied exactly twice by the cost of the poly it takes to seal close to 100 staves. :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2011, 03:46:22 pm »
that is going to be some work getting all the bark off....SO,to fix the trouble you need a fan,radio,and one of keenans stave masters with cup holder...john

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2011, 04:25:36 pm »
Swear words - 0
Blisters - 2
Cost of poly - $11 (two reduced price dented cans from lowes)

I have a huge fan and a good radio, but my drawknifing bench is a big pile of poop compared to the stavemaster.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2011, 01:04:31 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2011, 03:21:08 pm »
After working a double (24 hours) yesterday, I woke up today and found all of the wood safely tucked away under a roof at my Dad's garage.  I sealed the ends again and soaked the pile with some bug spray.  I grabbed two chunks from the pile and I'm going to start working them into staves this afternoon.

Offline frankg

« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2011, 04:18:27 pm »
Bet you had a big ol grin lookin at that stack ! ;D
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .