Author Topic: looking for ideas  (Read 2152 times)

Offline ericw

looking for ideas
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:06:45 pm »
I'm working on a red oak board bow backed with hickory. I was working the tiller and when I got to 27" draw I heard a pop. I noticed right at the fade the hickory backing popped and is lifting. I super glued it and am looking to wrap it to see if it holds. It didn't crack all the way through the backing, only about hlaf way. I am planning on using artificial sinew and wrap it good and super glue. Any other suggestions on what to wrap with? Thanks

Offline Bow Nut

Re: looking for ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:50 pm »
what glue did you originally use?  some epoxies like bow bond or bow grip 100 react badly with super glue.  It will melt the epoxy and smoke badly creating very harmful fumes if you breath them I learned this the hard way it burns your nose bad.  there could be many reasons it delaminated there, bending to much at the fades can lift it at handle are because the bending is stopping abruptly but the hickory wants to keep bending so it does and comes loose.  did you happen to get any pictures of the bow or tiller before and after I would like to see the.  Super glue will hold well but I would wear a mask if you used the glues mentioned initially.  the wrap will help to once glued back up.   Might could help you more if I had a picture to look at.  If the hickory cracked bad I would start on another one so you dont have it blow on you later and get hurt.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:21:56 pm »
I use hemp cord from Wally World, wrap it very tight and set it is Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone). I saturate the cord wrap and set it aside to cure. The acetone evaporates off quickly but the epoxy takes a few hours to completely cure.
  This handle wrap is good in all weather conditions and allows for a positive grip in any weather....and it is very strong! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ericw

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:31:41 pm »
I didn't get any pics. I worked on it at our clubs bow building weekend and forgot my camera. I'm out of town this weekend so i'll try to post pics next week. The crack or lift wasn't real bad. only about half the thickness and not quite half across the back. I soaked some tightbond 420 into it the other night. my plan is to wrap and soak with tb 420 again. should stiffin up the fade area. also going to take a little off mid limb to make it bend there a little more. I was shooting for 45 lbs at 28" and I hit it at about 27" right when i heard the pop

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 04:13:51 am »
sounds like you are in pretty good shape then.  Pat B's Idea with the hemp is a great way to wrap I have done this once and it worked well.  still have that bow today, it is the only one I ever bothered to repair after a minor issue and it sounds like what happened to you is identical to what happened on that bow. 

Good Luck hope it comes out well keep us posted

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 01:10:25 pm »
   I can be fixed and lokely you have with the super glue. Theres a reason this happen it might just be a glue reason you might want to look into why it did this. Likely a stress reason sence it was at the fade maybe your handle bent or if it's a bendy handle bow. your handle bent more than the hickory backing.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline ericw

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:28:12 am »
Ok finally got some pics taken. This one shows where the lift is at.

Some better pics of the crack or lift.

As you can see, it's only about 1/2 way across the backing and about half the thickness. I have it coated in super glue right now. Let some Titebond 420 soak into it.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:30:13 pm »
looks like a hinge that took some set there.

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:14:26 pm »
JUst my two cents worth but the fade looks very steep, more like a 'step' down into the limb from the handle area...might want to consider smoothing that into the handle a wee bit more to alleviate the stress from collecting at the transition (or thin the limb thickness moving beyond that point out through the limb to alleviate)...or both.  Hope it works out - cheers, P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO