Author Topic: win and lose  (Read 1463 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
win and lose
« on: July 24, 2011, 05:25:03 pm »
onondaga both with hammerstone. one too many flutes on the rough one and i lost it. very happy with the single fluted side. damn near to the tip. the susquahanna was all hammerstone , even the notches, except using the ulna bone for final shaping and edge work.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: win and lose
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:40:04 pm »
Very nice Jamie. Its a shame on the fluted one.  :'(
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »
Wow can't imagine how difficult that is with just a stone. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:58:19 pm »
Jamie, The susky looks great, an can't believe the flutes your getting on the onodaga. Real nice work.

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:41 pm »
Those are real nice!  :) :) :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:34:48 pm »
thanks guys. hammerstones have the tendency to leave a heavy ridge so they are ideal for setting up the piece for fluting.the side with the multiple flutes was actually fluted 3 times. the first one ran down the center leaving two more strong ridges ready for fluting. i think the reason it snapped was because the first flute left the ripples and the last flute dove in at that point.

john with the way you took to knapping i think you would have no problem adjusting to abo tools. the only difference with abo stuff is the density so you need to swing a little harder , adjust your platforms and also be able to adjust to the different tools inconsistency in density and shape. im still learning myself. especially with the hammerstones. if im not careful i find it very easy to create a bulbed platform that needs to be stitched out. when that happens i lose a lot of material.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct