Author Topic: Lemonwood/Dagame...  (Read 4625 times)

Offline gpw

Lemonwood/Dagame...
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:56:28 am »
Many years ago , I had a red lemonwood flatbow (early 50's)...it was very simple with no backing , and shot well... We always read about lemonwood being popular for bow work in the past ..the cuban stuff was supposed to be the best ... probably still can't get that ... although their cigars reach these shores...
Anybody have info on where to locate such wood and what species to look for ...??? Legend has it that this was an easy wood to work into a  bow ...

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: Lemonwood/Dagame...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 01:33:25 pm »
I've got some some really nice lemonwood from Gilmer hardwoods.

http://www.gilmerwood.com/Gilmerwood%20Stock.htm

They understand what we are looking for, he'll hand select a board to find what you want.

Ralph
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:38:47 pm by welch2 »

Robinwho

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 07:06:34 pm »
Many years ago , I had a red lemonwood flatbow (early 50's)...it was very simple with no backing , and shot well... We always read about lemonwood being popular for bow work in the past ..the cuban stuff was supposed to be the best ... probably still can't get that ... although their cigars reach these shores...
Anybody have info on where to locate such wood and what species to look for ...??? Legend has it that this was an easy wood to work into a  bow ...

Caribbean lemon wood grows in the dominican republic, Puerto Rico ,Jamaica and Haiti no just Cuba.
I have one I got in Santo Domingo, brought it back through customs ,as if were a long walking stick and turn it into a bow, well not finish yet.

Offline gpw

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 09:51:29 am »
WoW!!!   Glad to hear it's available ....can't wait to try it ... Thanks !!!!! ;D