Author Topic: I tried a pinetree  (Read 2017 times)

Offline gstoneberg

I tried a pinetree
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:00:40 am »
I found a spall long enough to try for a pinetree.

Took it to a preform.

And gave it my best shot.  Snapped off a little of one ear trying to do the serrations.  At least it didn't all go.  Looking at the pictures I should have taken some off the other side, would have looked better.  Good night of knapping, 1 for 1 tonight. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Lombard

Re: I tried a pinetree
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 10:37:12 am »
That point looks like it would hunt just fine.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:52:16 am »
Thanks.  I couldn't leave it alone and went back out this morning and evened up the ears a little.  Sometimes being OCD is a real annoyance ???  I tried to make the serrations more pointy too.  I have even more respect for what Saw Filer does now.  That is so difficult, and then there's those perfect flake patterns.  Probably should have rounded the tip more.  Overshot a flake and lost a bunch of width at the point.  :(  But, I still had to try. ;D  This was Texas rootbeer (I think) from Patrick.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:28:29 pm »
Looks really good, George!  Dang, I need to see if I got any more of that stuff...it looks sweeet! ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:45:24 pm »
Thanks Patrick, if it weren't for you I'd have given up by now.  I think I'm finally beginning to do better with thinning.  I got frustrated earlier today when I couldn't find my ace bandage to glue some snakeskin on a bow so I grabbed a piece with a big hump on it.  Didn't take any pictures of the spall, but was able to chip out a little hunting point.  I need a lesson in notching now.  Had one done beautiful and then knocked the other corner off and had to scramble to get anything. ::)

Went back in the house and found the ace bandage right away.  Knapping is good for the soul...and helpful when you've lost an ace bandage. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 01:33:03 pm »
Knapping is good for the soul...and helpful when you've lost an ace bandage.
Hahah :laugh:

Another nice one there!  How wide is it?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:38:09 pm »
It's just under an inch wide, maybe 15/16ths and a little  on the thick side.  Weighs in at 130 grains.  I think I got the base thin enough to haft.  Still need to make up some glue from the pitch.  O, the fish glue you brought me came unsealed in my bucket and leaked a dribble.  When I went to knapp yesterday I tried to pick up one of the pressure flakers in there and it was glued solidly to the glue jar.  I'm afraid I'll break the jar trying to get it off.  Put some water on it but so far it is stuck fast.  Good stuff.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:28:36 am »
looking very good. that pine tree will definetly leave an ouchy
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 09:43:12 pm »
wow, yours are WAY better than mine.  Well done!  Would a pine tree be a good hunting point?
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:16:45 pm »
I would assume so, it is quite sharp.  But, I've yet to launch a stone tipped arrow at an animal so I don't know.  Hope to ventilate a hog with one the first chance I get.  I should be back out hunting a week from Thursday.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 11:55:11 pm »
I bet it makes for a fine hog ventilator.  Poke a hole in one for me iffn you get the chance.
I have nothing witty to say.......