Author Topic: I do not like making kids bows  (Read 2012 times)

Offline osage outlaw

I do not like making kids bows
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »
I have been working on this bow for my daughter and it has been nothing but a pain in the butt.  It is HHB, 51" long.  I want it to finish up at 20# @ 20".  I have been super busy lately, but I found a few minutes to do some scraping this morning.  One limb was weaker than the other, so I took off a few scrapes and then the other limb is weaker.  I guess the tiller is super sensitive on such a little bow.  I think I have it evened up.  Maybe the right limb is a touch stronger.  I have also been fighting it trying to get the string to line up down the middle of the handle.  I heat it up and clamp it, but it doesn't seem to take.  I tried again this morning.  This time I heated it and clamped it on the grip.  Hopefully it holds this time.  I will leave it clamped until Sunday and see what it looks like.

How does the tiller look ???

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: I do not like making kids bows
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:04:19 pm »
I dont care for kids bows myself Clint. I think the right side looks a pinch stiff half way. But if you ask me a bow 20 @ 20 in a childs hands will NEVER know the difference. Since its so light and HHB a less than perfect tiller wont hurt the bow a bit. Save the aggravation for adult size bows pal!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:12:53 pm »
Just made a bow for my nephew so i know what you talking about...
But in your case i dont see the problem,just tell yourself"lower limb slightly stiff,Perfect" a couple of times :laugh:
I agree with pearl "Save the aggravation for adult size bows pal!"

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »
You know witch one is the lower than, I can't see much of a difference ...time to let some fly(arrows )not more bad language lol >:( ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:19:22 pm »
Scrape the right whole limb and you should be fine. I don't like making light weight bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:38:54 pm »
I think George is right but I wouldn't scrape it, when I get that close with the little bows I tiller with sandpaper. Scrapping on little bows is like tillering with a table saw on the big ones. it just takes way to much wood off, especially if your scraper has a good edge on it. I use 150 grit wrapped around a short dowel or something.
That's just how I do it, it seems to keep you from making any big mistakes, and those wee bows become more fun then. JMO.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:42:59 pm »
Yep!  The thing about kids bows is, you can't charge for them (much anyways) and they're tougher to make than an adult bow.  Shoot an arrow through it and call it a bow!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »
I believe your little bow looks pretty good. Kids bows are harder to make then big boy bows. It looks like you have good bend right out of the fades. If I had to take more wood off of it I would take it off the last outer third of the limbs. Dean

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:18 pm »
I hear ya too, but everyone is right on with the advice. I use sandpaper at that point too. I just put some skins on one for my six year old son. Once I wrap the handle I'll post pics. Their faces are worth the trouble in the end.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 10:02:06 pm »
come on man, be happy >:D, I've made a bunch of them, like to say they are twitchy to tiller, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 10:04:25 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.   I need to lighten it just a little and then smooth the edges.  I made the string for it today.  She wants skins on it too.  I got something in mind for it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left