Author Topic: Mystery wood bow  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Josh B

Mystery wood bow
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:11:13 am »
This bow is called the mystery bow for good reason.  I harvested what I thought was an oak sapling on the south side of Atlanta early last winter.  After curing for four months in my truck toolbox, I removed the bark and floor tillered it so that it would finish drying faster.  That's when I realized it wasn't oak.  It was only 2 1/2" thick but I counted 25 distinct growth rings and it is very hard wood.  Although it looks similar to maple, the type of wood is  mystery.  Thus the name.  It is 60" ntn and draws 55# @ 28".  Even though the tiller is off (stiff section in the mid upper limb) it shoots so nice that I can't bring my self to mess with it. I normally would have more of the limbs working out toward the tips, but both ends twist about 30 degrees in the same direction.  I was worried that it would want to twist in the hand if they were working.  It didn't take much set so all is well. It is butter smooth on the release and shoots hard.  It has a 4 1/2" stiff handle wrapped in buckskin with 1 1/2" fades.  Nothing fancy, just a utilitarian meat maker.  Thanks for looking.
    Josh
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:39:55 am by Gun Doc »

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Mystery wood bow
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:14:20 am »
Nice looking meat maker... wish you had a pic.of the bark,dose iron wood grow there???
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:29:23 am »
Looks very nice Josh, lots of times a knot will do that in a bow limb.  I think you did a fine job.  I've never made a sapling bow.  Might have to change that.

George
St Paul, TX

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:16:19 pm »
I love sapling bows - good job!
Hornbeam?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:18:53 pm »
looking good. now to make it earn it's name. ;D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »
Thanx fellas, I don't know a thing about ironwood because I live far enough west that we don't have it. At least I don't think so.  I also suspected ironwood and I'm reasonably sure it grows in central GA.
But whatever it is, you can bet I will be looking for more of it the next time I'm in that area!  Oh, and EtV, I definitely intend to "make meat" come september.  Thanx again

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 11:41:25 pm »
I like that bow. That big ol knot on the top limb is cool. Its hard to say, but it kind of has a bitternut look to it. I dont know if that type of hickory grows down yonder or not?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »
It looks to me as though the wood in question is diffuse porous, I believe hickory is ring porous.  I could be wrong, don't have any of that either.  I'm certainly open to trying it out sometime.  No wood discrimination here! :D

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 05:11:31 pm »
I'd also say it's diffuse porous, the cambium looks like hornbeam (one of quite a few ironwoods ;)). Is it very hard? Hornbeam will sand to a glass like finish at about 400grit paper. A close up of the belly would help determine the species.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 05:49:06 pm »
Yes, it is very hard.  I only lightly sanded it with 220 grit and it was shining like burnished osage and that was before the tru-oil.  It rides in my truck all the time, bouncing down the road and knocking against everything in my sleeper and never gets a dent or ding.  Truly tough wood.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 11:22:52 am »
Looks very nice Josh, lots of times a knot will do that in a bow limb.  I think you did a fine job.  I've never made a sapling bow.  Might have to change that.

George

Thanks George,  sapling bows are just easier for me when I'm on the road.  When I'm at home, I work on split staves like everybody else.  I've seen you use mesquite for tip overlays, I was wondering if you ever made an entire bow from mesquite?  If so, how did you like it?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »
I have not.  I brought home a billet length of mesquite from the deer lease last fall.  The dozer had pushed it over about a month earlier.  When I got it in the shop I could actually hear the borers eating inside of it.  Looks like swiss cheese in there.  It honestly is as hard to find a straight piece of mesquite as it is osage.  However, there are hundreds and hundreds of mesquite trees at the lease.  If you'd like to try it, I'll watch for a straight length on Thursday when I'm there.  I have a thin piece of osage I can use as a backing, might try backing a mesquite stave.  Sure would be pretty, and light.  I think I remember somebody saying it was good in compression but I can't remember.  If I see a straight sapling (haha) I'll cut one or 2 of those as well.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 11:52:56 pm »
I cut a sapling (big surprise I know ;D) down in San Angelo last fall that has more snake than NTD's freezer.  (I'm guessing on that account)  It was only about 1 1/4" thick and to get the tips to line up with the handle,  I had to make it 69" ntn.  It came out to 40# @ 28" in a D-bow design.  It shoots nice if not fast.  I chronoed it at 140 fps with 450 gr. arrows.  It's more of a conversation piece than anything.  Although, when I go stump shooting with my kids, its the one I grab every time.  What little heartwood is showing is a beautiful contrast to the light yellow sapwood.  I'll try to post it next week.  It's got more character than the PA forum!  Okay, that's a shameful stretch of the truth, nothing has that much character, but you won't believe the 'should be fatal' flaws I got away with.
                Josh
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:05:45 am by Gun Doc »

peet

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 04:20:01 pm »
Hi,the wood seems to be dogwood,very good near to me to make sapling bows.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »
Hi,the wood seems to be dogwood,very good near to me to make sapling bows.

That's a possibility.  If I get home soon, I will cut some dogwood to compare.