Author Topic: Stixman's Bow  (Read 3192 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Stixman's Bow
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:20:29 am »
Kevin (aka stixman) came over the other day and started a bow in the shop.  He's doing great and completed the back to a growth ring.  Here he is not too long after starting.

Sadly, the borers are kicking our butts in this stave and we're going to have to go down one more ring.  Kevin's getting very comfortable with the draw knife.  So much so, that I was able to do a little knapping.  Won't be long and we'll be bending that bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Stixman's Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:22:52 am »
I hope your happy with yourself George passing on a terrible addiction of chasing rings,and making beautiful osage arrow slingers!!! I know I shure would be ;) ;) ;) looks as if he is well on his way. What luck to have such a great mentor. Keep the pics.comming ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:19:39 am »
Way to pass on the tradition! Keep em pics up
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline dbb

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:46:24 am »
Kevin you are a lucky guy!
I wish i could work with skilled bowyer too.
There are books and vids that show all the basics,but the small things and tricks of the trade that makes life easier is often overlooked as obvious.
I teach kids flytying and basic casting,and in the beginning i often got the "wait how did you do that"when doing something without thinking.
And i think that is the same in all craft,small things makes all the difference!

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:15 pm »
Awesome George, he'll be an expert at twisty, gnarly, knot filled osage went your done with him..lol.  I do see you started him off fairly straight though. cool stuff.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:32:01 pm »
Making bows = fun. Making bows with a friend = fun X 2. I'm no mathematician, but I'm fairly sure that equals more fun!!!
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 03:39:39 pm »
I sure have a lot more fun when the guys come over.  There are 4 bows from 4 different guys in process (you can see the ends behind Kevin in the picture).  Of course, I have a few going as well. ;D  Lots of fun.  That stave has a little twist that we'll take out and because of a little deflex in the middle, we're still discussing whether to just flip the tips or induce some gentle reflex in the outbound half of each limb to make it D/R.  Either way Kevin will get some wood bending experience.  The limb he has seasoning now is nice and straight so he may not need those new skills right away.  Of course, I have lots of crooked wood he can play with if he wants. >:D  Good times.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 09:55:56 am »
I see you folks have been busy while i've been outta pocket!  That guy in the pic looks awfully serious about his work ;)

It has truly been a blessing to be able to work with George and to have a new friend and enabler >:D   this whole ring chasing business is at once more difficult yet easier than i thought it would be, and i suspect George's direction is saving me a lot of mistakes and heartache ( and ruined wood for that matter). 

If she makes weight despite all the borers we're contending with, i intend to use this one for hunting this fall.  I look forward to posting pics of my first kill in the fall ;D

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:55:00 am »
That a way to pass it on George ,keep us posted on the progress. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 11:56:45 am »
...If she makes weight ...

She will make weight, don't worry about that.  The only thing that stand between the stave as it is now and your bow is time and sweat (in about equal proportions ;)).  My only free evenings this week are Mon-Wed, maybe Saturday and then Sunday afternoon/evening.  I'm leaving for the lease Thursday after work to help a new guy on the lease get set up and show him around.  We'll do a little hog hunting too.  Might get home in time on Saturday to work on a bow as long as I can swim before we get started.  That pool feels mighty good after 2 or 3 days out in the heat.

Thanks Pappy, it's all fun for me when the guys are over working on a bow.  When they have their game face on and the draw knife in their hands I can pretty much sit down, knapp for a bit and watch the wood chips fly (helping only when they need me). ;D  When we're  tillering I stay a little closer.    They do great, and it's fun to see their eye for tillering develop.  Best part is their first arrow out of their bow.  It's like Christmas morning. ;) ;D  (You've helped people - I'm sure you already know this.)  But I never get tired of it.

George
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:59:57 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »
Making bows = fun. Making bows with a friend = fun X 2. I'm no mathematician, but I'm fairly sure that equals more fun!!!

Sometimes here I've got more bowyers than benches!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline k-hat

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:15:38 am »
Sunday may be the only good day for me as well.  I'll let you know if Sunday is a go when it gets closer.  If not, then we'll give it a go next week.