Author Topic: Daughters Birthday Present  (Read 2880 times)

Offline jasestrong

Daughters Birthday Present
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:06:33 pm »
My younger daughter is turning 9 in August and she is a real outdoors woman. I have been looking for a knife small enough for her but still functional. I don't want to break the bank but i don't want her to get some cheap flea market special. It was down to a few, Mora, Buck, Kbar, Coldsteel, Becker. After a few weeks of going back and forth i decided on a Tradtional Mora with a full guard to protect her as she learns to use the knife. I think for the money they can't be beat. I will probally make her a new sheath and drill the handle for a lanyard, but as is it will work!

Here is the link, it was the best price i could find. I usually buy my knives from Smokey Mountain Knife works.

http://www.smkm.cmebapp/eComerce/products/Frosts+Mora+of+Sweden/Moraof+Sweden%C2%AE+Morakniv%26%23153%3B+Classic+with+RedBirchwood+Handel+%28Full+Guard%29/FS601.htm
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:19:40 pm by Pat B »
Jason

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Daughters Birthday Present
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:21:56 pm »
Jason. Pretty cool gift for your daughter.

I had to disable the link because it it a commercial site but not a PA advertiser
You can give the name of the company but not a direct link.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jasestrong

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:11:35 pm »
I am sorry! Won't happen again!
Jason

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:04:40 am »
I have a ton of knives, but my go to knife in the 3-4" range is still my Mora. Great knives, easy to sharpen and good for flint fire. You made an excellent choice.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »
Have you checked on hoppinmadhillbilly.com ?  Chris Kirk has some good deals, his TV show,,comes on friday nights at 5:00 central time.   Also streams on his site
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline jasestrong

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 10:41:48 am »
Thank you AlmostpigHunter!!!!! :)

Thank you Rick i will check it out! :)
Jason

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 02:21:16 am »

You can't go wrong with the Mora!  I got hooked on them when I was about six or seven, and my grand father had one he carried hunting.  It had the plain wood handle and the cheap dual guard, but man would it take and hold an edge.  I have a couple of the red handled ones, and a couple of the military style ones, and one is a fishing style about five inch blade withe serrations on the back of the blade.  I get them from Sportsmansguide, two for around $22.00.  I am in the club, so I get a little discount.  Still not much more than eleven dollars each for two fantastic knives, is not bad.  The local wood carving show here every year, usually has the red wood handled ones for around $12 dollars.    You can remove the wood handle and guard, and replace it with your own, or just scrape off the the red paint, and sand and stain it.  Lots of options for it, and you can make a different sheath for it.  It is a tough, and Sharp little knife, that takes an awful lot of abuse and keeps on performing the tasks you give it.  For the money, you simply can not beat it.  If you lose it, eleven or twelve dollars later, and you have another one, and you haven't lost a two hundred dollar or more, custom forged blade. ;)  You made an excellent choice for your daughter, it is light, and a handy blade size, and can be sharpened easily, and holds an edge well.  Just be sure to teach her all the safety features of using a knife.  Unfortunately Cold steel is made in taiwan now.  Buck is still a good blade, but for the money, you made the best choice in my most humble opinion. ;)
     Tell her Happy Birthday for me. :)

Offline Diligence

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 02:47:37 am »
Mora's are great....all the different kinds of them.

"ragnar's ragweed forge"....a commercial site is great for scandanavian blades, with good pricing too.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.