Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

Teeny Tiny Osage Stave

<< < (2/5) > >>

Justin Snyder:

--- Quote from: J. D. Duff on June 23, 2007, 04:59:55 pm ---I do have a little room for a hedge row.  I wanted to get about ten plants going but that may end up taking up too much space.  My father-in-law is always telling me I'm not fully invested unless I've planted the trees myself.   ;D ;D  He thinks his daughter maried a crazy man.

J. D. Duff

--- End quote ---
He is probably right. But normal people are so boring.  ;D Justin

Hhop:
That is great to see that one finally sprouted. Good luck with it!
Harold

Pat B:
Just putting a seed in the ground(or a pot) doesn't necessarily mean it will sprout. Most seeds have requirements that they need to sprout. Either a dormancy that needs to be broken(stratification) or a hard seed coat that needs to open(scarification), or both. In many cases, if the seed is placed in a baggy with damp(not wet) sand and placed in the refrigerator for 3 months, that will break the dormancy and the seed will(should) germinate. To scarify(disarm the seed coating, ie. hull, shell)you can do it either mechanically(with a file or crack open the shell) or chemically(either using the acids that are in the soil naturally or a dunk into sulphuric acid) to achieve this.
   Depending on the particular seed you are dealing with,  one or both of these requirements is necessary for good germination. The fall is the best time to begin stratification so, by spring the seed is ready to go in the pot and should begin to sprout as the weather warms.    Pat

mullet:
  JD,I've been trieing too.Here's mine,probally the only one growing this far south.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Justin Snyder:
Easy Eddie, You are going to make Pat hungry when he sees that cat lying under the truck.  ;D It looks like you ran over it on the way in.  ;) Justin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version