Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

Teeny Tiny Osage Stave

(1/5) > >>

duffontap:
My efforts to cultivate Osage Orange from Harold's seeds has finally paid off with my first little Osage sprout!  At least, it had better be an Osage sprout.  I planted this seed three months ago and watered it faithfully but it just appeared about two weeks ago.  I think I had planted it too deep.  At any rate, a big thanks to Harold (Hhop) for sending me these seeds.  I still have a dozen more and I hope to get some more sprouts.  I'm very happy with the progress so far but I think I'll wait another ten years or so before I snap and have to cut it down.  I might even last 20.  :P

J. D. Duff

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie:
good luck chasing those rings

Justin Snyder:
JD, I think you need about 100.  Then you can cut one down at 5 years one at 10 years.  Then you can cut one per year for the next 5.  By that point it should be big enough to give you can probably cut all you want. Each tree will give you quite a few staves at that point.  As long as you plant a couple each year you will have a lifetime of osage.  Now I did the hard part  ;D and planned it out for you, all you have to do is find a chunk of land that will serve the purpose and get them planted. Oh, and don't forget to prune so they are all straight staves. 

What are you talking about Jamie, that tree is only 1 ring. It should be easy to chase.  ;D  Justin

Hillbilly:
I would guess that the earlywood/latewood ratio isn't too good yet, either.  :)

duffontap:
I do have a little room for a hedge row.  I wanted to get about ten plants going but that may end up taking up too much space.  My father-in-law is always telling me I'm not fully invested unless I've planted the trees myself.   ;D ;D  He thinks his daughter maried a crazy man.

J. D. Duff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version