Author Topic: Knapping tool question!  (Read 2382 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Knapping tool question!
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:43:07 pm »
I've not been on the PA forum for long, but I keep seeing people in the Trading Post looking for knapping tools.  Again, I haven't been knapping for long, and only wine bottle bottoms, but the knappers tools seem pretty simple.  I took an old broom stick and cut it about the length of my hand to my armpit while my arm was slightly bent, drilled a hole in the end about 1.5" deep, then took a piece of grounding copper and cut it about 2.75" long and mounted it in the end w/ superglue.(Ishi stick?)  I took the same broom stick and cut another 4" off  and did the same thing.  Copper was ground down to a rounded point on both tools.  THen, I found a decent shed(antler) and made a billet about 6" long, and as big around as I had, hammer handle size, and rounded the ends w/ a grinder.  I have a sizable piece of leather I put on my lap and another that I cut a hole in for my thumb, kinda like a big tab, but for the thumb to hold the stone with.  I have a hand sized, roundy, hard, course stone to use for abraiding and that's it.  Is that it?  This was all stuff I had laying around the place and/or saw during trips to friends, etc.  Do I need more to get started with?  Thanks for reading and replying, I'm really enjoying this website, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline TRACY

Re: Knapping tool question!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:26:47 pm »
Sounds like you got tools to get the job done. There are some posts from the past that have pics of knapping kits that different people use if you get time to search. The local rock I find is Monroe chert (orangish/brown) and it is usually small or freeze fractured, but does make decent small points. If you want to try some really easy working rock, give me a call and I'll give you some hornstone to play with.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 05:28:10 pm »
Sounds good Tracy.  I been wantin' to call you.  I'll see what I can find w/ the tools.  Did you see my post about the rock ID?  Is that Monroe chert?  Talk w/ you soon, dpgratz

Online JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:13:23 pm »
You might want to add some hammerstones and a sharp steel pressure flaker to your tool kit.   ;D

Oh yeah, and an abrading stone.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »
hey bowartist.it was probably me you are talking about.i did the same thing you did.i made an ishi stick 17" long.two pressure flakers and a copper bopper.when i posted that,i had only seen the tools one time being used at the classic.i didn't know the dimentions or the materials being used or where to get them.i am also laid off at the moment and didn't have a whole lot of money to throw around.what i did have was alot of items to trade.that is why i posted on the trading post.i was thinking if i got a starter set from someone,i could copy the tools and have a set forever.i am getting ready to cook some texas flint this week.if i have any luck,i will post some pics.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:09:35 am »
For ishi stick copper use the grounding copper wire as you stated but clamp one end in a vise and chuck the other end in a drill and spin twist it a little at a time until it breaks free from the vise. This will heat treat it and make the copper harder which will work better and hold a point longer to aid in working and less time sharpening the copper. Just my 2 cents worth but it works well for me and is cheaper than buying copper nails.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:22:45 am »
bronco, nice idea, will do when I need to change the tip.  Thanks.

seabass, I have no one in mind, I just made a perception as I've checked out this website. 

just makin sure I'm not missin' sumpin,

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 02:45:30 am »
no problem bowartist.i knew nothing about the tools.i figured if i could trade for a starter set i could use them to start making my own.i was looking for copper nails when i stumbled upon the bare copper grounding wire.it looks like it is going to work out.i still have to cook my flint,then i'll give them a go.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 11:44:44 am »
For a copper bopper, I use a 1 1/2 " copper pipe cap and whittle down a piece of 2x4 to fit the cap. Then use a punch and a hammer to lock the cap to the wood by punching it at 4 spots around the flange of the cap. Cost about $4 and works great and is light enough to use for a log time without making your hands tired. I also have 2 other smaller sizes which are caps and coppor pipe soldered together which I then melted 2 oz of lead off of a 3 oz fishing sinker using a torch and pliers and let it pour into the handle end and fill the cap for extra weight. I still prefer the larger one it works quite well, the mass makes up for the loss of weight. Try it you"ll probably like it. For an abraider just get a piece of an old grind wheel or buy one which fits the 4.5 inch hand grinder and you will be set with a cheap set of tools.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:56:13 am »
   I'd add horseshoe nail pressure flaker for sharpening. And JACKS right hard and solf hammer stones.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 02:03:26 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys, I'll add a couple of things to my set.  I knapped a point last night, and broke it right at the end trying to widen my notch.  Probably still use it though.  Also started a blade, well, it started out as a point, but looked more and more like a blade, so I followed it's will and tried for a blade.  If I get it done and hafted I'll post a pic.  Thanks again for the replys!!! dpg