Author Topic: Duck Feathers?  (Read 11299 times)

Offline BowJunkie

Duck Feathers?
« on: July 16, 2011, 07:51:22 pm »
Anyone ever used Duck Feathers on your arrow shafts ? ? ? ?
Got a place close by with a lot of duck feathers, may use them instead of buying turkey feathers.
Any thoughts?
Johnny
in Texas

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Duck Feathers?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:09:18 pm »
Yep, I've used them.  They are not as stiff or durable as turkey feathers, though.  But heck, free is free.  Gather a bunch and try them. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:53:27 pm »
Well the reason I ask,, is turkey feathers aren't cheap and I'm all about being cost effective  ;D
So my thoughts were to make some new Hunting arrows, strap some  125 grn MA-3 broadheads and some Duck feathers
on to some POC's and see how the work out.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:34:07 pm »
Take 3 whole duck feathers and lay them around the shaft with the shiny side in(the outside of the feather facing the shaft). Now wrap the forward end and the rear end and you have a tangential 3 fletch. You can add some helical as you tie them. I use this type of fletching using smaller turkey and goose feathers and they fly very well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:10:03 pm »
Pat do you have a picture to post of an example?
Thanks
Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:15:17 pm »
I tried goose feathers once and like Jack said I found them not as stiff or durable as turkey feathers. I got the same results with goose as I did young turkey feathers, they whistled or sizzled all the way to the target. Not sure about duck but I imagine they are about the same or even worse in the noise department? Only one way to find out, take em for a test flight cause what have ya got to lose except a little time.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:24:33 am »
Here you go, Johnny. The arrow on the right is fletched with goose feathers in a tangential 3 fletch style. It will be in my hunting quiver when I go to Colorado in September. It is a very quiet arrow and flies like a dart...

This is a sequence of how to lay it out...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 01:37:49 am »
Nice fletching Pat.  Here is one I did with secondary chicken feathers.  I think secondary feathers are great, there's a lot more of them, they just take practice, but so do all the others too.  Secondary feathers rule...wellmaybe not, but they work great and are easier to get if you raise poultry or know someone who does.  You can fletch with lots of feathers, just keep 'em consistent.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 02:24:10 am »
Interesting Concept Pat, I will make up a few and see how they fly.
Thank you for taking the time to post pics.
I always get excellent feed back from you Pat.
Thank you so much
Johnny in Texas
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 02:27:31 am »
  The nice thing about this style is you can use most ant found feathers to do it. Even if you have to use more than 3.
This is an arrow that James Parker gave me. It has the same fletching style using goose feathers...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 07:41:57 am »
  In june when geese molt I've got ponds that I check each year. I always pick up a few. I use to know a lady that had white ducks that saved me all the wing feathers. I'll use them after I get some.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:38:45 am »
I've kept all my duck and goose wings for this purpose and fletch them with deer sinew. Larger duck species like mallards and black ducks work well. Any flight issues have been attributed to operator error on my part when fletching. I tried molted goose feathers once, but they were pretty well worn but worked.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 10:54:50 am »
Pat... I forgot all about that type after I started getting alrready made fletches. Was that you that did the artical in PA magazine? I'm going to have to go and make a few of them ;) Heck. If tou're going to shoot them to take an elk, they can't be all bad ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »
I collect duck and goose feathers from lakes and ponds.  Heres a few i did with some mallards.  I don't put the shiny side in.  They are too pretty to hide.  I use two or three whole feathers.  Sometimes I'll even split them and make mini fletches.  The arrows fly just fine with no wobble in flight even with three inch duck fletching.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 12:16:39 am »
The more closely matched in spine the arrows are to your bow the less important the fletching becomes. 

Pat, thanks for posting the how-to on the three whole fletchs.  I like the look of those!  I'm going to try to make up some of those with the wonderful metallic blue secondaries from mallard ducks!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.