Author Topic: Salvaged Osage fence post (suggestions?)  (Read 5941 times)

Offline frankg

Salvaged Osage fence post (suggestions?)
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:54:25 pm »
Couple years ago I swapped for a hunk of Osage that was split from a recycled fencepost. I have never built a bow as I mentioned in another thread . Instead of ruining the floor tillered oak stave I bought I attacked the Osage hunk that was around 2.5x 2.5x 51" . After cutting off the checks on the ends I have a 49" stave . I read through lots of you fellers posts on chasing the rings and removing the sap ring and went for it . Took most of a day with lots of breaks ! Dont know how old the post was but it sure enough hard and didnt want to give up a bit ! I used a draw knife to start , removing most of outer layer with out cutting into the orange wood then went at it with spoke shaves and pocket knife until I had a clean uniform back , end to end .

I layed out as best I could center , then drew in the shape and  handle location. Not knowing any better and it being a little crooked and hard to bandsaw excess material away I went at it with my draw knife to do shaping.
I have it roughed in somewhat in these two pics .

Today I messed with it off and on throughout the day and I think I have it floor tillered . I have pretty good bend , around 4" or so except for about upper third of limbs which are still stiff. Its still pretty stout !

In the last two pics its 2" at widest and about 1.25" at tips. I narrowed it to around 1.5" and .750" at tips today as there was still some dark frayed wood on edges.

On the back of bow I can see age checks running lengthways here and there in limbs . I dont know if you can see them in first pics.
I have some deer rawhide I traded for and was wondering if I can use that to back the bow to stregthen any issues with the age checks .
Help please ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:42:16 pm by frankg »
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Salvaged Osage fence post
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:07:12 am »
The rawhide will help, but it looks like your hard work at chasing the growthring carefully and your attention to the grain took the best advantage of the natural strength of the wood.  You are well on your way!

Good luck

-john
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline frankg

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:38:29 pm »
Thank you  :)  When backing , when is best time to apply it ? After initial floor tillering and before any tillering with the tiller machine ? Or start with machine , get close then apply backing ? 

Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:16 pm »
49" is SUPER short. You may consider a working handle bow with that piece. You can put your backing on after floor tillering.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline thomas h

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:57:48 pm »
hey  if it turns out as good as your gunstocks   it will be nice

Offline frankg

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »
Ill thin it out in the belly of handle some and try to get some flex in it then , thanks  :D Thats what I need , guidence ! Im dangerous left thinking on my own  ;) lol lol !!!

Tom , one can only hope ! Shoulda see my first stock .......................before I destroyed the evidence  ;D ;D

Offline frankg

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:33 pm »
I checked and the handle area is 3/4" back to belly and 1-1/8" at widest point. Im hoping for 45-50 # so how thin can handle stand to be ?

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:57:43 pm »
Frank,
   I just made a little Osage bow 49" NTN. I measured my handle thickness and it is .061 in. My bow pulls 65# at 29" so you might factor that in as well.

Jon W.

Offline frankg

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 12:12:16 am »
Thanks Jon, how wide is your grip ?

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 12:34:48 am »
Frank it is 1 1/4" at the handle and just over 1 3/4" at the fades.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 12:43:20 am »
Jon W I know you meant .61" or close to 5/8" for your handle, because .061" is just 1/16" .
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline frankg

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 01:14:08 am »
Thanks Jon !

Yea ............I caught that beetle  ;)

I think maybe Ill leave handle pretty much same in thickness and narrow some to around 7/8" wide across .

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »
OOPs, I get a little dyslexic sometimes. Meant to say .610 in. Thanks for pointing that out :P

Jon W.

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:22:10 pm »
Frank,
   I just made a little Osage bow 49" NTN. I measured my handle thickness and it is .061 in. My bow pulls 65# at 29" so you might factor that in as well.

Jon W.
You made a bow 49", that pulls 65#@29"!!!! Can I see a pic of it at full draw please?

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 04:38:47 pm »
Here is the pic.