Author Topic: I did it!!!  (Read 1761 times)

Offline triggerfinger

I did it!!!
« on: July 15, 2011, 03:37:04 am »
I figured ut the 90 degree thing!!  stitched the side like I was told and sure enough it worked.  So in my excitement i kept going got the excess convexity and concavity out, and ended up with a knapped marble.  I wonder if the abo peoples made cats eyes and pinkies....  And just to cap it off i somehow aquired a painless 4 inch slice in my gut.  How is that even possible it was on the non sharp object side

New question.  I got the sides to meet but most of my flakes just stay short, i cant get them halfway across the piece like in the vids.  Tried hand pressure, ishi, and a bopper, same effect.  I also tried increasing and decreasing the angle of the piece to no effect.  And I built my patforms all the way to the side i tried to thin. 
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline bushman

Re: I did it!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:26:06 am »
I figured ut the 90 degree thing!!  stitched the side like I was told and sure enough it worked.  So in my excitement i kept going got the excess convexity and concavity out, and ended up with a knapped marble.  I wonder if the abo peoples made cats eyes and pinkies....  And just to cap it off i somehow aquired a painless 4 inch slice in my gut.  How is that even possible it was on the non sharp object side

New question.  I got the sides to meet but most of my flakes just stay short, i cant get them halfway across the piece like in the vids.  Tried hand pressure, ishi, and a bopper, same effect.  I also tried increasing and decreasing the angle of the piece to no effect.  And I built my patforms all the way to the side i tried to thin.
Triggerfinger, that sucks that you opened your gut like that. Bleed like crazy? Haven’t done anything that bad but the ones I have gotten wouldn’t stop bleedin. I was havin the same problem that you are. I just did a bunch of practicing with it and now I can do it. Not sure how or what I did different other then making sure I brought the edge to the face I was going to drive flakes from and then grind it really good. Grid even more then you think you need to. If you don’t grind enough then your flakes will detach before you have put much pressure into them, there by, making a short flake. You can use thicker window glass as well as bottle bottoms, I find the flat glass easer to learn on since it is flat. If you haven’t yet take a look at my post “Latest Knapping and some Artifacts (Picture Heavy)” http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,26882.0.html
Have a look and you can see what you can do with flat glass. Hope that helps some.
Bushman

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:50:27 am »
Trigger  ;)keep at it
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:35:08 am »
Most knappers start making real thick points, they get thinner as you get more experianced and learn the angles better.  In other words, you now need to break about three pick up loads and your points will thin right out.  I'm not kidding.   Bill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:32:30 am »
That's right. Truck loads AKA tonnage :). You really need to sit with someone who can point out the finer details of knapping.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 12:06:30 pm »
  Triggerfinger some of the older glass I find on old dumps and tempered or I was told that it's made with more sand. I don't know but it knaps REALLY good not as brittle as todays glass. Uselly 3 /16 to a 1/4 thick. I started out with glass a made 100's of heads. Even killed 3 bucks useing glass.  Now my youngest son knappind glass starting out.
  I can't pass up and old dump with out kicking a few things around. And if it looks good I uselly go back with hoe and look around a little better.   
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:13:59 pm »
  Triggerfinger some of the older glass I find on old dumps and tempered or I was told that it's made with more sand. I don't know but it knaps REALLY good not as brittle as todays glass. Uselly 3 /16 to a 1/4 thick. I started out with glass a made 100's of heads. Even killed 3 bucks useing glass.  Now my youngest son knappind glass starting out.
  I can't pass up and old dump with out kicking a few things around. And if it looks good I uselly go back with hoe and look around a little better.

I acually found the glass im knapping in a trash pile in a fence row on the family farm.  It has prob been there longer than ive been around.

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »
so next question.......where does one acquire 3 truck loads of rock.  And are we talkin s-10 or f-250

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 12:58:35 pm »
Welcome to the madness. ;D  I made a nice marble Wed night. ;)  It does seem to be about practice.  I now get a usable point about every 5th or 6th try it seems.  The others are broken, too thick or I just plain get frustrated and quit.  I tried glass right away and it was very brittle, new stuff no doubt.  Also tried some ceramic floor tile and that stuff was tough!!  Wow.  Had to lay off for a few days after that because my hand got so many blisters from pressure flaking.  I still stink at pressure flaking, hopefully someday cowboy or jackcrafty can show me how to do that.  I can't give you any pointers yet except to find somebody who does it and watch them closely.  I live in flint country and my knapping friends have helped me get enough material to practice on.  You can also trade for flint, I have gotten some beautiful rock that way I'm still afraid to try (and ruin).

Good luck and keep chippin,
George
St Paul, TX