Author Topic: do or dont chase yew rings ?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Stixnstones

do or dont chase yew rings ?
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:57:04 pm »
ran across a couple posts that say one doesnt have to chase rings on yew, just glued up a pair o billets (my first yew wood) was worried aboot the paper thin rings n now wantin to know should i chase, plannin on backin it anyway
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: do or dont chase yew rings ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:35 pm »
It isn't as critical with yew but you should always have the most pristine back as you can get. If the sapwood isn't too thick and there are not too many violations or ones that are too drastic you should be OK. If in doubt you can always back with rawhide.
  I have built only a few yew bows from 45# to 95#(war bow) and all have violated back rings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:18:49 pm »
thanx pat, actually just skimmed through tbb and mr strunk doesnt mention anything aboot chasin rings , just watchin sapwood thickness. now my dilemna is one billet has thicker sapwood than the other. obviously thin the thicker side and b careful with the thinner side
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:36:35 pm »
  I only built 3 yew bows all I left 1/8" to 1/4" of sapwood. Thats what was right under the bark and was used for the back. If the sapwood on your billets are uneven I just even them up some.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:01:42 am »
The last yew recurve i made i backed with silk but only because i near decrowned it trying to to remove a chainsaw scar.
Previous bows i have been lucky and had thin sapwood, the stave i have sitting here the sapwood will have to be thinned but i wont be chasing a ring just trying to keep things smooth. Where is Dell??

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:53:02 am »
was also wonderin aboot different backin other than rawhide only because i dont have any rawhide, have lots o processed sinew will that work on such soft wood ?
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Gaur

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:57:58 am »
I used a little clear ruler and just tried to maintain 1/4" on both sides and then kinda guessed on the crown.  You can see the sap rings and if you are patient you can kind of chase them.  You can see if you've really screwed up an violated a bunch of them.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:03:57 am »
Some yew, I have had luck chasing rings, others, not so much.  Give a try, some straight stuff, it could be easy.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:29:17 am »
Linen, silk or sinew will work fine with yew. Sinew is a lot of trouble and a lot of work just for a protective backing. If your bow is short enough to get the best effects from the yew then sinew will work great. For sinew to preform the bow should be short for it's draw length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:37:41 pm »
I've done both. Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference. Yew with high growth rings/inch is almost impossible to chase a ring. I only chased a ring once, and that was on a 90# yew warbow. It took hours! All others were violtated backs. Don't sweat it!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 04:02:50 pm »
What Pat and adb said. Sinew is great on yew but is best for shorter bows.  You can chase a ring if you want to spend allot of tedious time but not necessary, just try to avoid many violations in one spot.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:47:22 pm »
thanx guys, u know u can read and do all the research u want but advise from folks who have such experience goes a long way other than divin rite in yourself. this is some pretty special yew i got from norm blaker as a gift norm purchased these billets over 30 years ago. u michigan folks should know of norm ( bowyer,flintknapper,arrowsmith,atlatl champion, trick shooter,flintlock builder etc.) anyway i just dont want to make kindling oot of this stuff
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:13:27 am »
Norm is a freind of mine !!
I would love to be able to see him more often !!
You will do fine with the wood , relax !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 01:10:27 am »
A 30 year old yew stave is what dreams are made of!  8) Lots of drooling going on from guys just reading this thread.  ;)   8)

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 12:31:34 pm »
Wow, a 30 y.o. yew stave! Nice. I have a 5 y.o. yew stave, and I thought it was something! I guess I can leave it a while longer.  8)