Author Topic: Needing some input  (Read 1323 times)

Offline parson

Needing some input
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:26:51 pm »
I have an ash tree in the back yard that has died because of ash borers. It grew leaves in the spring, but they are withered now.

Tree is probably 18-20" in diameter. Ya think there are some usable staves in there? The damage under the bark doesn't appear to go very deep into the trunk.

opinions please.

Thanks.

Offline Michael C.

Re: Needing some input
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:32:35 pm »
I wouldn't use wood like that, but I live in the land of many trees.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »
If you knew before the bores killed the tree you could have gotten some staves from it. I believe the ash bore only affects the cambium of the tree. Once dead whitewood are very susceptable to rot(fungi) rendering the wood useless for bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:32:31 pm »
I wouldn't rule it out.  In my experience it can take a while for rot to set in on a standing tree, even if it is dead.  I have some chokecherry staves that I cut last fall that are growing new leaves on them in the garage... they take a while to dry out, let alone start to rot.  I would split it up and check it out myself.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:24:30 am »
I'd cut that thing down and split it up...See what cha got.  Worse case scenario you have yourself some excellent firewood.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 01:16:09 pm »
We are covered in ash and bore killed trees up here. I would cut it down and split some. If it was breathing this spring you might still be good. The bugs dig tunnels in the cambium which may make you chase a ring or two to get to solid wood. Give it try.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.