Author Topic: Juniper for compression  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Bow Nut

Juniper for compression
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:39:31 pm »
I have heard juniper is excellent in compression.  But what part of the tree is better for compression the sap wood or the heart wood?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Juniper for compression
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:41 pm »
Sap wood.  If we are talking about ash juniper, the heartwood is crapola.  Not sure about the other junipers.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:33:17 am »
Check your back issues of Primitive Archer.  I seem to recall an article on Juniper.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:33:40 am »
ERC(Juniperus) has heartwood that is good in compression...but so is the sapwood I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:19:37 pm »
Juniper is good for compresion to so degree. Both the sap and the heart wood. However there are many varieties and some are much denser then others. There are a few varieties that are like balsa wood and junk and some other that are excellent. It takes a book and very carefull examination of the twigs to tell what variety you have. some have only a difference of 1/32 of an inch in the twig diam and minute variances in clusters. Yet even the best juniper is touchy when it comes to very powerfull backing like Bamboo.  I once made a bamboo backed juniper that took a very  heavy set. it stayed together and though it didn't chrysal it definitely had some crushed cells as evident in the amount of set it took.
 The very best backing for Juniper is sinew. It's a light springy wood and the sinew just compliments that without overpowering.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:31:42 pm »
thanks everyone that helps alot. Keenan  My idea was to make a short horse style bow with sinew back and am looking for a very compresive wood to take a huge amount of bend out of a short bow with a horse bow design.  Reflexed limbs and then some what recurved at the ends.  is there a better wood to take all that compression.  I am not worried about the back as I will put 2 or 3 layers of sinew on it.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:35 pm »
Juniper is a great canidate for what you are planning.