Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 86891 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2011, 03:50:34 pm »
I'm gonna make two.  One 70" long and just a straight taper from 1.25" to 1/2" near the nocks then 1/4" nocks.

The other will be a bend through the handle mollegabet...I've made one before and liked the performance and low shock

blackhawk

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2011, 04:14:59 pm »
Sweeeet aznboi.....feel free to send both. I never made a rule saying you could only make and send one.

Make and send as many as ya like guys. Up your odds of winning the grand mystery prize.....mwaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha >:D

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »
How durable are 1/4" tips? I'm a little hesitant to go that thin without knowing who will end up using the bow. Will such narrow tips hold up to abuse and potentially incorrect stringing methods?

blackhawk

« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2011, 04:26:14 pm »
MattS...IMHO 1/4" tips are fine if properly done. Obviously you can't cut string grooves and must do a tie on or sinew knock. They are more than durable. I understand the hesitation if one has never done them before,but ya just might make all or most of your tips like that after trying it. I know I love em. Hint,hint,hint....remember im also a judge.  ;)

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »
Hey, by the way, I probably wouldn't write the best one myself, but does anybody think that one of the guys on here should write up a little "guide you using and caring for a selfbow" pdf or something? 

I have something like that but it's on my work computer. I'll try and post it Monday.

Here's a modified version I include with any bows I make for other people. What do you all think?

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2011, 04:29:02 pm »
MattS...IMHO 1/4" tips are fine if properly done. Obviously you can't cut string grooves and must do a tie on or sinew knock. They are more than durable. I understand the hesitation if one has never done them before,but ya just might make all or most of your tips like that after trying it. I know I love em. Hint,hint,hint....remember im also a judge.  ;)

I might do it just for you then :-*  >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »
Matt S.....that'll work great for bowcare instructions. I don't have a printer. Would ya wanna print a bunch up and stick em in your mailing tube with your bow?

And I better see tie ons on your tips...lol :laugh:

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2011, 05:46:38 pm »
Matt S.....that'll work great for bowcare instructions. I don't have a printer. Would ya wanna print a bunch up and stick em in your mailing tube with your bow?

And I better see tie ons on your tips...lol :laugh:

Sure, when it gets closer to the time let me know how many you need.

blackhawk

« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2011, 05:58:41 pm »
Ok Matt ....will do.  ;)

This sure is a blast so far guys :D.  Lots of hype build up to it. "Mines gonna be better than yooooours"......."my bow can beat up your bow"......."na na na boo boo you can't catch me" :laugh:    yeeeeeah riiiiight...lol :laugh:

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2011, 06:15:21 pm »
Heck with as much energy as we have put into posting so far we could have probably built one and earned enough money on the side to send it  ;D ;D ;D ;

Ok Matt ....will do.  ;)

This sure is a blast so far guys :D.  Lots of hype build up to it. "Mines gonna be better than yooooours"......."my bow can beat up your bow"......."na na na boo boo you can't catch me" :laugh:    yeeeeeah riiiiight...lol :laugh:
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2011, 07:38:08 pm »
I'm pretty sure I am going to use the description that they give for the Andaman hybrid type bow in the Bowyers Bible to model mine off of. I don't know which one it was but they did a pretty good job of describing it and telling specs on 3 different lengths. I'll see if I can't get some photos up of my board once I get home today.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2011, 04:50:38 pm »
Are you talking about the short draw bend thru the handle design michael c?  that did seem like a very efficient design.  Im think pyramid style, but ridgid handle.  mostly because thats what i have experience with.  Just sent it thru the bandsaw a couple times and got a handle block glued up, its lookin ugly right now, but ill post some pics when i clean it up and start on the tiller.   scrape hard and scrape well fellas.......and post pics! :P
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2011, 05:30:04 pm »
I don't think it was a short draw, I'm pretty sure it was 45# or so at 28" I will have to check the book to make sure

Here are the boards I'm probably going to slaughter ;D

Cicero

blackhawk

« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2011, 07:05:44 pm »
Looking good Michael. This is gonna be tough to judge with a lot of similar styles. All should be pretty smooth shooters from what im seeing so far. Might just come down to who's the fastest >:D

Nativenoobowyer I think your thinking of the short red oak pyramid with an ishi handle that drew to 23" on the next page after the Andaman-holmgaard section in TBB4. Id like to see someone build a pyramid.  ;)

I haven't worked on mine in a few days. I got distracted with a black walnut stave.   :P

Offline RyanY

« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »
Michael, that design is looking fantastic. I may need to go even more narrow with my tips just to edge you out.

I was thinking a lot about that short pyramid red oak in TBB4. Even when only drawn to 23" it still had excellent speed. Keeping the same limb design but adding a long stiff handle would increase fps slightly if kept optimal but the tips would bend just as far as the short one so draw would still be limited to 23". My thought is that if the design could be extended to have a 28" draw, for increased energy storage, it may be one of the fastest designs out there. Keeping the same ratio of bow length to draw length, a longer bow of the same design would be 73" long for a 28" draw allowing a 7" stiff handle for an 80" bow with the same limbs. I may need to build this sucker.  >:D