Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 86897 times)

blackhawk

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2011, 07:02:24 pm »
Ill accept a spliced handle as long as its a stiff handle. Don't know why you wood wanna make it more work and harder for yourself. And if its a poor splicing it will score lower on the durability scale.

The siyahs.....eh.....im leaning to saying no. Even tho its not working,it is part of a working limb. Toomanyknots. Why not make the same type of design you just made,but make the dimensional adjustments to it? If those siyahs twist and torque and have poor lateral stability then its gonna score low on the durability factor.

Ill type n print up an instructional sheet on proper selfbow care to send with my bow to the winner. Cu's I know I ain't winning

blackhawk

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »
Got mine cut out to just outside of the lines. Im not scared to show mine,and let folks see what im building. No secrets here. :P

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2011, 11:05:33 pm »
Hey, by the way, I probably wouldn't write the best one myself, but does anybody think that one of the guys on here should write up a little "guide you using and caring for a selfbow" pdf or something? Something the winner can print out some copies at the library and send with the bows? Because I can so see the troop leader or whoever having the kids just abuse the crap outta these unbacked red oak bows, leavin em strung all the time, bracing em 7 different ways of wrong, dry shooting, exc exc... just saying. These kids, if they have had experience with archery tackle in some program or whatever, I almost 100% guarantee that it is with youth compound bows and have no idea about how to use a selfbow.

I have something like that but it's on my work computer. I'll try and post it Monday.

I just finished a red oak bow from a 1x2x6 board that I'm REALLY liking. It's a bit shorter than I usually make at 62" tip-to-tip but it came out great. About 42# @ 28". It's sort of a stretched Mollegabet with a slightly working handle and long, semi-working lever fades. Seems to spit the arrows out with authority, now I just need to do some distance shooting (how I gauge my bows w/o a chronograph).
I think I'll use the same design just a bit longer and slightly more working limb taper for this contest.

Offline gmc

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2011, 12:29:10 am »
Matt, I have a chrono if you need to test it, Richmond is not that far away. I'm off work all week with nothing much to do anyway but play with bows if you want to drive over. Bring all of your bows for that matter, I have one or two myself.

gmc
Central Kentucky

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2011, 05:00:03 am »
hey guys, wanted to say that this is a great idea! and im in :D i spent a good hour at the lumber store today trackin down a nice board for the job.
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

blackhawk

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2011, 09:31:28 am »
Awesome nativenoobowyer. Pm sent. Thanks for jumping in the pool.

So far including me the list of for sures is up to 11 now,and still two in question.  :)

Still got room for more,and its not too late to jump in the pool,and plenty of time still before the deadline.  ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »
Got the front profile cleaned up to my lines with a rasp later last night. She's now ready to start floor tillering. Then after I get to the short string to see my string tracking I can start fine tuning that profile. Right now its 2" out of the fades and 5/8" at the tips and 72" overall length.

:P

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2011, 03:45:35 pm »
That's lookin good so far! Looks very similar to that hickory bow that Ryoon recently posted.  I'm itchin to try a bow of that design myself (with the Eiffel tower taper).

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2011, 04:33:16 pm »
"If those siyahs twist and torque and have poor lateral stability then its gonna score low on the durability factor."

If reflexed siyahs on a bow twist (siyahs around 4" or more, with 3" little mini siyahs sometimes you can get away with a bit of twist if there is a wide string bridge for the string to land on) just a smudge the string will pop off half way to full draw and it won't even be a bow at all. If reflexed siyahs twist at all then the bow will not shoot and if there are no string bridges to the hold the string in place, like if the siyahs are no contact siyahs, chances are it won't even stay braced or will brake the siyahs at brace. So I find your statement a bit confusing...  With highly reflexed siyahs it is perfect or nothing. At least for me anyway, as I only make wooden bows with siyahs, if it was a hornbow I guess like  robustus said (I think) you can heat bend or just work the bow into alignment. I haven't been able to do that with wooden bows as that is all I make. :-  Cool lookin bow btw though! Looks like a quick shooter. How thick is it?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:44:23 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

blackhawk

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »
Thanks cameroo...its hard to beat that design if properly executed. <-----I hope I can pull it off. I know Ryoon is making almost the same thing. So I better do reeeeal good to outdue his. Hahaha...that's a joke. Im sure he'll beat me. Not sure if I can do that.

Toomanyknots....I was thinking of some monster long siyahs that I've seen you put on bows before,and that's what I was imagining. How about we make a compromise. Ill let you(only you) put glued on siyahs UNDER 4" long....IF you say you can commit to building and sending a bow For judging.  ;)      but good luck getting that to outperform less weighted tipped bows.  DEAL? ::)

Right now my board is still full board thickness.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2011, 05:54:13 pm »
Like I said I probably will not participate. Also, there would be very little much benefit from 4" siyahs so why would I do that. Thats like a molly with 4" levers. The benefit from the reflex of said siyahs is early draw weight caused by the limbs storing more energy at the same brace than a bow that had a flat profile, which would up performance of said bow. I enjoyed discussing bow performance/how stuff works on this thread, but I guess it's time for me to stop chiming in and let you guys have fun.  :laugh:   

"but good luck getting that to outperform less weighted tipped bows."

Ok, one more thing, I have a problem with the general consensus that is so obviously wrong here in this thread that a siyah with 1000 times less mass than a working limb would somehow make a slower bow. I think we need to just use common sense to see the truth. Here are two bow profiles, one a flatbow bow, one a bow with non working levers, each the same dimensions mid-limb, but one bow transitions out from a working limb to a lever:

Come on now, we all know wood is stronger in depth/thickness about 8 times more than it is in width. This means you can make a take a very strong piece of wood if it is deep, and reduce the width dramatically, resulting in a very strong piece of wood  that is not even that much wood (if only stressed against the thickness of course). There is no way a bow with thin non working levers would have more outer mass or could be out performed by a bow with wide working limbs. Maybe a d section. It just doen't add up as there is just so much more wood to move on the bow with all working limb than the one with levers. It makes absolutely no sense why a bow with 1000 times more outer limb mass would ever out perform a bow with 1000 times less outer limb mass.  ??? ??? ??? For example, the static recurve I use right now has 6" siyahs that are 3/4" deep and 3/8" wide. The bow pulls 60# at 28" and has been shot all the time for about a year, maybe more. The siyahs are very strong and I am sure would hold 80# or even more with ease. Now, if I were to take the siyahs, and turn them to the side and try to use them as working limbs, making them 3/4" wide and maybe 3/8" thick, they would brake. It fact if I could change around the mass in those siyahs to get enough wood to make the outer 6" of working limb on that bow there just wouldn't be enough and they would brake, as it is a pyramid bow and about 3/8" thick. The only way would be to make a non bending stiff deep limb section. It is just obvious it takes less mass to make a deep nonbending section verses a working limb. And it should be accepted in this thread that less outer mass makes a better shooting bow.

Ok, with that, I retire from this thread, and can't wait to see some of the fire spittin bows that this contest is bound to produce.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:51:26 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline RyanY

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2011, 08:41:30 pm »
Blackhawk, you give me too much credit. If you keep talking like that I'm going to get embarrassed in this contest.

Toomanyknots, we all understand that narrow and deep outerlimbs have less mass and will shoot faster. But what we're saying is that when reflexed, such as siyah's, they must have more mass to be laterally stable. Just for example the tips you just explained are too heavy. My last bow had tips that were 1/4" wide by 1/2" deep. Stiff tips can be much more narrow than most people make them. It should almost have a slight bend to make sure thickness is as small as possible.

Getting back from MOJam today. Will be on the lookout for a nice board tomorrow.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:51 pm »
Glued on my my handle riser for the board bow.  Not it's tiller time!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline johnston

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2011, 10:02:47 pm »
Finished one except for dressing up but it came in less than 40#. Oh well at least I got a backup if I need it. Sweet shooter too.

Lane

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2011, 10:39:07 pm »
"Toomanyknots, we all understand that narrow and deep outerlimbs have less mass and will shoot faster."

Umm, I'm pretty sure that yall were trying ta saying that they will shoot slower than a working limbed flatbow... ...which is ridiculous... from the siyahs somehow having more outer mass (wood) than a working limb bow, ... ...which is also ridiculous...

"Just for example the tips you just explained are too heavy. My last bow had tips that were 1/4" wide by 1/2" deep"

"sigh", They were most obviously not tips of a bow, but siyah measurements that go the entire length of the siyah, forgive me if I don't like the look of a siyah that comes to a point. Please re-read my post.

"what we're saying is that when reflexed, such as siyah's, they must have more mass to be laterally stable."

No, they must not. What do you mean more mass? Like wider? Or wider at the base/mating area? I make my siyahs from no thicker than 1/2" plain saw (close to) red oak. Never any thicker than that. And I taper it from 1/2" wide to about 3/8" for the entire length after it fades from the base. Always. And I make laterally stable static recurves.  Good luck on the bow.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:42:39 pm by toomanyknots »