Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 86893 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:33 pm »
picked out my boards today... i m going to build 2 and send the best and most durable. i usually build these 2 at a time anyhow...  i got some good ideas brewing gonna try a new design i haven't tried yet on one of them.  with me luck guys!  toomanyknots sorry for the misunderstanding and good luck with your design! :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 10:42:49 pm »
Ok, here we go again..

"Toomanyknots, With regards to taking near handle set with a pyramid bow I was simply saying it can be a problem with the design since there's so much more bending near the handle."

A pyramid bow is a very low set design all around when done correctly. I have experienced what you said, set near the handle while using boards of a consistent thickness up to the handle, but with a slight thickness fade this is avoided. A pyramid limb distributes stress as evenly as a bow limb can. A pyramid limb bow typically will never take set near the handle. A pyramid limbed design is typically very low set whether you believe me or not.

"With regards to inner limbs being less stressed with levers, that is incorrect. This is why they need to be made so much wider, in order to
Have enough wood to do the work without taking more set."

For one I didn't say "inner limbs were less stressed with levers", I explained how they could be by making the levers longer. This is refering to during the draw. Do you understand what I am saying ryoon? The longer you make the levers, the less the working limbs have to work during draw to reach the same draw length, do you understand that? This is not incorrect. That is what I am saying.

"When talking about recurved stiff tips it is indeed possible to do but stability is an unavoidable issue. For optimal speed the limbs will have to be narrowed considerably losing Lateral stability. It has been done plenty of times with, for example, Chinese composite bows. But I guarantee that the sayas on those bows are far too massive for optimal speed but need to be so in order to be stable. Good speed in those bows comes from the higher energy storage and is only enough to surpass the excess mass in the finest made bows of those styles."

Chinese manchu bows did have heavy siyahs, but early draw weight (not soley by reflex, mostly by the manchu design with the string laying on the string bridges at brace and lifting off at draw, the siyahs serving the same roll as the little pulleys on compound bows nowadays) mostly even things out. I probably think the siyahs were for smooth draw and not speed. (Now chinese yaun bows might be a whole nother story). Admittedly I am not that good at getting highly reflexed siyahs or levers aligned, (In fact I hate hate hate it:laugh:) but I do see alot of bows like this on this forum, and go check out the atarn forum if ya want some proof. You will see alot of people have no problem with alignment/stability with highly reflexed siyahs. So it obviously can be done. Although clearly it is an issue that has to be dealt with with reflexed levers, and though you are very right about that, I believe that the extra stored energy that will result from reflexed levers is worth the time it takes to craft a bow with such characteristics that is stable. And that will make a better shooting bow. And this is a competition. So why wouldn't you want to take the time to make the best bow you can? Anyway, thats what makes this fun for me!  ;D

"I don't want to discourage you from doing your design and I may very well be wrong. Simply discussing what I believe to be how such a design would play out. I'll be going for something a bit more simple."

I don't believe it is my design, as I was basically just openly discussing my thoughts on what would make the best performing unbacked red oak bow. I don't know if ill participate, (yet) as I would feel like crap if my bow broke in a kids hands. I am kinda on the edge of deciding if I will or not, I might give er a try yet... So you think that a narrow tipped flatbow is the ticket eh?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:49:47 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 12:17:29 am »
im done where do we send them  >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 12:38:08 am »
:o  :o  :o
Holy smokes ken. Did u build it and finish seal it all in one day?   :o

Pm sent Ken

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2011, 01:30:53 am »
"im done where do we send them"

"Holy smokes ken. Did u build it and finish seal it all in one day?"

Sweet buh jesus I know lol

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2011, 01:47:38 am »
Just saw this and if I thought I could make that deadline I would say I was in for sure, but my wife has been getting on to me for putting other things on hold already while I work on stuff for things on here. I really just need to learn how not to waste time sleeping and that would solve all my not enough time problems.

Waste time sleeping?  LOL.  ;D

Ok you've talked me into it...I'm in.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 02:07:40 am »

I thought I was doing well just getting my board, today.  Holy quacamole Batman!  I better get busy!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline RyanY

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 02:46:34 am »
Toomanyknots, I see what you're saying about increasing lever length to decrease inner limb stress. I can't say I've seen too many bows with reflexed siyahs on here (although robustus did just display a beautiful example) but I think it can be done. I just have yet to see anyone present one where the siyah's are narrow enough to be efficient. Sure they will store more energy but the question is if that extra stored energy can overcome the excess mass it takes in the outer limbs for stability and stiffness.

I do think a narrow tipped flatbow is the ticket. It's been proven over and over again. I think there are possibilities for faster designs but for this competition I'll stick with something simple. Also if your bow is well designed you should have no fear of it ever breaking. There's no need to sacrifice durability for speed.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2011, 04:17:55 am »
We could just make some bows and see who comes out on top instead of a verbal debate.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

blackhawk

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 11:18:51 am »
Michael C. Pm sent

@Toomanyknots....dude you've expended way too many brain cells to not give her a go. Ill send you a pm with the shipping address.

So far the for sure list is up to ten now ;D(not including me)  THERE'S ROOM FOR MORE GUYS  ;)

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 01:28:57 pm »
We could just make some bows and see who comes out on top instead of a verbal debate.

LOL  :D

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2011, 01:52:36 pm »
"We could just make some bows and see who comes out on top instead of a verbal debate."

Yeah, well I'm sure anybody would win a debate against me if it came down to that, :laugh:

"Toomanyknots, I see what you're saying about increasing lever length to decrease inner limb stress. I can't say I've seen too many bows with reflexed siyahs on here (although robustus did just display a beautiful example) but I think it can be done. I just have yet to see anyone present one where the siyah's are narrow enough to be efficient. Sure they will store more energy but the question is if that extra stored energy can overcome the excess mass it takes in the outer limbs for stability and stiffness.

I do think a narrow tipped flatbow is the ticket. It's been proven over and over again. I think there are possibilities for faster designs but for this competition I'll stick with something simple. Also if your bow is well designed you should have no fear of it ever breaking. There's no need to sacrifice durability for speed. "

Your probably right. I've seen tons of your bows, I'm sure you could nail this little contest.

"Also if your bow is well designed you should have no fear of it ever breaking. There's no need to sacrifice durability for speed."

I totally agree. I'm not saying I could, but I totally agree.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2011, 03:05:10 pm »
just curious is it still a self bow if its spliced

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2011, 03:14:16 pm »
"just curious is it still a self bow if its spliced"

No ones said anything to me against using siyahs yet. I sure as heck wasn't gonna steam bend em, lol!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2011, 06:52:22 pm »
Hey, by the way, I probably wouldn't write the best one myself, but does anybody think that one of the guys on here should write up a little "guide you using and caring for a selfbow" pdf or something? Something the winner can print out some copies at the library and send with the bows? Because I can so see the troop leader or whoever having the kids just abuse the crap outta these unbacked red oak bows, leavin em strung all the time, bracing em 7 different ways of wrong, dry shooting, exc exc... just saying. These kids, if they have had experience with archery tackle in some program or whatever, I almost 100% guarantee that it is with youth compound bows and have no idea about how to use a selfbow.