Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 85326 times)

Offline Matt S.

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2011, 03:27:49 pm »
I just need to take some photos... once the weather clears ::)
Then I'll ship it off.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »
sad week...my car broke down...gotta expenses to get her back up and running so I can go to school and work.  Sorry I can't afford to ship two ways.

good luck to all other competitors.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2011, 02:26:55 am »
Hey guys,  so mine is tillered and shooting, and a lil rough sanded.  im gonna be late :S but im still in, should be sanded and finished in a couple days.  I am super critical and wish i could try again but it turned out ok (it hasn't snapped) and i am out of time :S :D

I will try and snap some pics b4 i ship it :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

blackhawk

« Reply #228 on: September 13, 2011, 08:21:24 pm »
Bow received from M-P. Nice one Ron. She's all in piece....so far >:D

Still looking to hear from Ken75...Seabass..and where Skyarrow are at???

Bow testing is on the 24th folks. Get em sent in asap

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #229 on: September 15, 2011, 10:20:40 pm »
Still need to find something to ship this in. blackhawk, did you still want me to print off a few "How to Care for your Bow" pamphlets? If so, how many?

Here are a few picts I took tonight. I'm happy with this bow but I don't expect it to come close to winning. It's fast (especially for only 41#) but nothing out of this world. Should still make someone happy :)

blackhawk

« Reply #230 on: September 15, 2011, 11:34:55 pm »
Looks good from here Matt  :) u can just send one pamphlet n ill make the right number of copies.  Thanks. Can't wait to c it.....and shoot it  >:D

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #231 on: September 19, 2011, 05:46:28 pm »
welllllll looks like i am not goin to have the $$ for shipping.  sorry fellas, i was really hopin to see how my ROBB stacked up but hard times means sacrafices must be made.  Its sanded, shooting, stained, and finished.  It came out a lil on the heavy side about 46 lbs at 28 in but im sure ill lose that laast lb when its got a few more arrows thru it.

Good luck to everyone who got their bows in on time :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

blackhawk

« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2011, 06:09:30 pm »
Nativenoobowyer86 pm sent

blackhawk

« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2011, 07:55:54 pm »
Got Matts bow today. Wheweee....can't wait to shoot this one.  >:D

I can't wait for Saturday boys. Wish we could all be here for the testing and shoot each others bows and make a field day out of it. This is gonna be fun.

The arrow that will be used for chrono testing is spined at 45lb and weighs 430 grains. Everyone ok with that?
speak now or forever hold your peace.

Well...after seeing the bows(except Josh's yet) I can say for certain I wont be winning ::)...or will I??....lol 8)

Good luck to everyone who participated and a BIG thank you to ALL who did ;D

Ps..I might post a pic of mine tomorrow or sat morn.....maybe ::)

blackhawk

« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2011, 10:28:44 pm »
Well...I hate to admit this and feel really embarrassed. :-[

I was tweaking mine down tonight and had a few more lbs and a couple inches to go. I decided to further narrow my tips down and made a boo boo with the belt sander. I tried to continue and smooth the transition into the tips out but by the time I had it smoothed out there just wasn't enough there for lateral stability. I strung it up anyways but as soon as I start to pull on it you can see the tips wanting to bend sideways. If I tried to pull to full draw they'd snap for sure. If I try to pike the bow im only left with 59" total length,which isn't enough for a board drawing 28" 

Im such a dumb rear. I should've just left em alone. Soooo.....I hate to say it and feel really stupid as I started this whole thing,.....but. I think im out guys. Saying sorry just isn't enough. You guys don't know how bad I feel.  :-[ :-\ :'(

Im gonna go climb in a hole n lick my wounds

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2011, 10:55:30 pm »
Even the best mess up .
plow on my friend !
Guy

I am interested in how this comes out cause I have never seen a red oak board I would try to use for a selfbow ! Maybe I'm to picky!

Give us the report with lots of pics !!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2011, 11:47:19 pm »
Buckeye:  You should have seen my board.  I think even you would have tried to make a bow out of that one.  It was near perfect.  (Not saying anything about the bow, just the board).  It was fun to make.  I never made an unbacked board bow.

Chris, Chris, Chris.....
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline johnston

« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2011, 04:01:26 am »
Buckeye: You should have seen my board....it was awful.... at least by normal standards.

I have only been at this for around 5 months and red oak boards are easy to get and ready to go. My first 5 were all ROBB and the two that are still slinging arras have bad grain and run outs galore. The ones with really good looking grain were probably better bows but they died young. My cook-off bow was number 6 for me and I was  tempted to use good grain(which I have) but I held out and sent in a bow with not so good grain. It has 300 arrows through it and while it ain't fast I believe it will last.

Or either break.

Lane

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2011, 09:01:49 am »
Yeah, most of my red oak board bows have less than ideal grain on the back. I still have my first unbacked red oak board. Bow did I overbuild it! I was so scared that it would break. Now that I sort of know what I'm doing and what I can get away with I'm not too concerned about tension failures with RO. In fact the last couple failed RO board bows have failed in compression (chrysalled).

Can't wait to see photos of everyone's bows!

Chris, could you glue up some flax on the sides, like mentioned by Tim Baker in TBB4? If not I say pike it and see what happens!

blackhawk

« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2011, 09:39:37 am »
Well I don't have any flax,and thanks for the idea. I might tinker with it tonight and pike it down to 57" ntn and retiller for more bend thru the handle and see what happens. Can you say holy SET batman. That's pulling a board almost half its length(just an inch shy).......yeeeeeesh. I think I got the width though,so we shall see.