Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 85325 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »
I'm not giving up yet but i feel I mite not finish in time  :'(
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline johnston

« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2011, 10:49:54 am »
Bow shipped out Wednsday , USPS. Fellers I know most of you have shipped bows before but just a caution, check prices from carriers before using the postal service. I ain't never paid so much to ship so little.

Lane

blackhawk

« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2011, 10:58:34 am »
Thanks for the heads up Lane. Ill let ya know when its received. Thanks for participating

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2011, 11:46:22 am »
lane if you will use usps online you can save a lot . sometimes the clerks get to measuring a lil much . and you get a discount for doing it online

Offline johnston

« Reply #214 on: August 26, 2011, 02:17:58 pm »
Thanks Ken.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2011, 02:31:06 pm »
With the USPS if you go over a cumulative measurement of length + girth > 108" they will gig the heck out of you.  Keep it below 108 and the rates are usually pretty reasonable.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

blackhawk

« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2011, 04:55:27 pm »
Lane.....Im sitting on my front porch pulling out some massive Osage boogers >:D and a package arrived from you  ;)

I haven't opened it yet,but the box looks to be ok. So im sure the bows ok ;)

Offline johnston

« Reply #217 on: August 26, 2011, 05:21:33 pm »
Thanks Chris. Listen, if the bow looks rough, dinged and chipped then it just as I sent it. If it is all smooth and purty we got a problem. Also when it left here it would cast a 500 gr. arrow almost 11 yards. If it does better than that it may have been tampered with. Hope so.

Lane

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2011, 12:44:46 am »
Surprised to hear that your local USPS gouges you on something long...i just shipped 2 Osage stave duct taped together to VA and it only cost me $16
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline johnston

« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2011, 09:58:44 am »
Three pounds and 66" priority mail SC to PA was a touch over $27. Regular delivery was gonna be $24 something. It fell into the " balloon " rate or so I was told.

Lane

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:27 am »
Thanks Chris. Listen, if the bow looks rough, dinged and chipped then it just as I sent it. If it is all smooth and purty we got a problem. Also when it left here it would cast a 500 gr. arrow almost 11 yards. If it does better than that it may have been tampered with. Hope so.

Lane

Laughing my freakin' butt off!  Had to take my glasses off and wipe the tears.  Nobody seemed to catch your humor, still talking US Post Office stuff.  Still laughing.  Now, the little woman is laughing.  Had to show her your post. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline johnston

« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2011, 03:30:44 am »
Thanks Matt I needed that. Early in this cook-off I was more or less an asshole on another related thread and haven't felt the warm fuzzy for a while(deservedly so).

Maybe I will be able to sleep tonight ;D

Lane

blackhawk

« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2011, 09:32:12 am »
Well Lane....we got a problem. I pulled it out n its all purty n smooth,BUT I did throw some arrows thru the chrony and I was getting only 10 fps....lol :laugh:  kidding. Everything is still in one piece. And no I haven't shot it. I wont shoot any of em till the day of testing and judging.

blackhawk

« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2011, 10:53:43 am »
Well guys....the deadline is in one week and I only have two bows :-\

Better get to finishing em by this weekend and shipped out. That includes me too...well the finishing part anyways..lol.  :P

So where is everyone at? Please chime in. If I don't hear from ya im gonna send out some pms tomorrow.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2011, 11:58:27 am »
I haven't had time to build one because of my new baby BUT I do have a nice red oak bow I finished right after my surgery I am going to send in.  I won't be able to mail it until the 17th though because of lack of funds.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln