Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 85405 times)

Offline Matt S.

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2011, 11:13:14 pm »
You got me!  I'm not a speed freak.  Seems to be the latest thing, though.  When I finish a bow I can just kinda tell if shoots faster than most.    Scientifically speaking, the sounds you hear when you release the string and the arrow hits the target goes kinda like, "Pi-tunk."  Some bows go, "Pi------------tunk."  You know what I mean?

I'll be curious too.  Mine sounded like, "Pi---tunk."  I think its pretty good. ;D

We'll see.

LOL, that sounds a lot like how I normally judge speed! ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2011, 12:16:13 pm »
Welp...im back to a civilized world and back from no mans land appalachia West by God Virginia.

Im expecting to see the better bunch of bows shooting in the 150's to 160's fps with a finger release. Id like to see someone top 170 but I doubt we'll see that. Fingers crossed

I've been superbusy and my next two weekends ill be gone again. I've got a full plate, so ill only be able to work on mine here n there for small amounts of time during the work week. Some of you guys are leaving me in the dust. But its not who can build the fastest contest >:D

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2011, 02:21:46 pm »
Well I have been siting here looking at this board for 30 min now. And since my selection was slim on quality I decided to keep it simple so my chances of this bow breaking won't happen il try the hankyu later once i can  resurch it more there isn't much info on it :( so hopefully by tomarrow il have it cut out andredyto be tillered
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2011, 04:30:02 pm »
Here is what I have so far my friend alex is visiting from Germany and he has never seen someone make a bow and he helped on the design of this bow I decided to try a hankyu and have made my first of many cuts to shaping it man itlooks weird with the handle so far off set I still need to make a form so I can heat and bend it let me know what y'all think

blackhawk

« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2011, 04:57:15 pm »
Wow...funky cool skyarrow. I hope ya pull it off cus I wanna see n shoot that baby. I might have to give you an honorable mention if you don't win. Im also glad your having fun with it as this is one of the many reasons why were doing this. Looking sweet so far. Keep her updated ;)

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2011, 05:02:34 pm »
Thanx amigo  ;D I just hope It don't blow on me I really want to see this thing shoot lol

Offline seabass

« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2011, 05:08:51 pm »
well guys,i just broke mine.i finally had one coming in at weight.67" 45@28.had it on my scale and "pop".at least it was a learning exspirence.i learn what not to do.i had a crappy piece of wood from lowes.it had some run off.i am glad it broke on me and not some kid.i just got some specs for another style of bow from toomanyknots.it looks like a better design.do count me out yet.i am still going to give it another shot.here's the break.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2011, 05:29:12 pm »
That was definitely because of a run off, you can tell how it separated at the ring. Your tiller could of been perfect and that could of happened with the grain running off like that so don't be too hard on yourself or nothing.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2011, 05:30:52 pm »
Man I hope that doesn't happen to me bummer man it definitely followed the runof

blackhawk

« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:34 pm »
OUCH Steve. Sorry to see and hear that.  :'( Yup,that's def a grain run off break. I hope you can get the next one shooting.

P.s.  tell toomanyknots to make one and send one himself  ;)

Offline seabass

« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:09 pm »
i'll try to get him too.i'm going to try and get another board tonight.don't count me out yet.i learned alot on this one.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2011, 07:18:08 pm »
well guys,i'm back on.just got another piece of wood from lowes.this one is a 1x4 and has straighter grain.i am going to try toomanyknots pyramid design.Daniel,wish me luck.you should make one too.anyway,i have alot of work to do.take care guys,steve
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2011, 08:38:07 pm »
well guys,i'm back on.just got another piece of wood from lowes.this one is a 1x4 and has straighter grain.

Now that's the true spirit of making bows. Just like Jawge says " if ya ain't breaking,ya ain't making"

Ada boy Steve.  ;)

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »
Woot

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2011, 11:28:29 pm »
All I could find with decent grain locally was a 1x2, meaning it's only 1.5" wide.  I kinda want to do a pyramid bow, but I'm concerned this is too narrow.  What to you red-Okies have to say about this choice?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.