Author Topic: Black widow spider  (Read 5780 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Black widow spider
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 03:39:41 pm »
I'm with you- relocate it. ;) If I aint eating it, I aint killing it. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Black widow spider-babies
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 11:31:35 pm »
Well, I found another one on the kids rabbit cage.  I had to remove it and her egg sack.  I was going to take it to work and let it go, but they hatched before I went back.  Now I have this.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 01:15:47 am »
 I'm with the "Stomp Them Group", unless you can teach your kids not to play with them and to look at every place they put there fingers when they are taking care of thier rabbits.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 01:41:31 am »
The incedence of black widow(and brown recluse) bites declined after indoor plumbing was introduced!
  We have them around here. My rock garden is full of them. Since I don't use many pesticides the spiders, wasps, yellow jackets,etc are my pesticides.  ;)  If we are threatened, they loose!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 02:03:33 am »

Pat, we used to have a cabin in the Big Cypress Swamp, and before we built a water tower, we had an out house.  Well whenever I would have to use it, I would take a can of raid, and a lighter with me.  At night I would take a flash light also, but I would first I would beat the side of the seat with a stick, and then slam the top lid of the toilet seat, down, and and then lift it and the seat up , and then light the lighter and spray the the raid down into the hole.  You could hear all kinds of things dropping down there. :o  There were a lot of roaches, :P and there were a lot BIG ol brown roach spiders too! :o  I sprayed, and torched them all!  I didn't want anything crawling on me, or mistaking anything for a nice juicy bug!  ::) I didn't bother to take anything to read.  That would leave too much time for something to crawl back up to the top! ;)

Wayne

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 02:47:37 am »
I'd server that one up with drawn butter... and a nice chianti.    >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 03:55:43 am »
Never had a Problem with Widder's... but them Fiddle Backs....Mash Em..... >:(

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:51:50 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »
  About 15 years ago I kept getting these bites that looked like El Destructos. My wife ended up in critical care from them and I think I had a total of 27 over about 6 months, mostly on arms and stomach. I never could find the spider but the Dr said it was a brown recluse. Looking back I think it was simply staff infection, my wife was a critical care nurse at the county hospital and the virus was very common their.
   I think black widows can deliver a dry bite, they are very common in my yard but I had never been bitten until about 6 weeks ago when I was replacing the motor on my Jacuzzi. A big one got me on my shoulder but nothing happened just a bit of redness. I sat around waiting for the symptoms to appear and if they did I was going to head for the hospital but nothing happened. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:18 pm »
Black widow bites are like bee stings. Most people react like Steve unless they are allergic. Brown recluse on the other hand can be real bad. They cause open lesions like El D had or worse and they can persist for years and even pop up on other areas away from the bite. We have tons of black widows here, never been bitten yet.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »
Steve...after the Bite ripened to the point of Rupturing like it did...I went to the Doctors again...and they debrided  all of the rotten flesh to keep a secondary Staff Infection from setting in...well the one on my Shoulder got infected...the one on "My Buttox" ( said with a Forest Gump accent) didn't...it healed fine...the one on my Shoulder had to be packed with gauze for almost two months ...till it healed from the Inside Out....it went to the Bone damned near.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 04:07:40 am »
ElD, shoulda tried blow fly eggs.  Much cheaper than doctor visits.   >:D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 11:57:03 am »
Icka.....can You imagine have them Maggots crawling around in there....eewwww..... :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 01:47:09 pm »
I worked in hospitals for seven years in Georgia and the Brown Recluse Spider was a major problem.  Black Widows bite were bad but not like, the brownies. A guy came in one night with a hole the size of tangerine on is calf.  It was so infected it was amputated.
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 10:37:37 am »
  Dr told me I was full of crap but something I started doing when I felt those lesions comming on that seems to stop them immediately. The symptoms are very consistent, starts with an itch, then a very intense burning, followed by what looks like a boil. By the time the boil hits a marble size piece of flesh is allready gone if you are lucky. At the itchy or early stages of burning I will get a wet rag as hot as I can stand it and hold it over the burning area, I rotate 2 rags keeping both very hot, takes about 5 min but when you are done it is done period at that very moment. Like I said Dr doesn't agree with this but it sure as hell seems to work about 100% of the time.