Author Topic: Fresh cut Mult-floral Rose shafts  (Read 4104 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Fresh cut Mult-floral Rose shafts
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:32:57 pm »
Here are two pics of some of my newer cuttings.  I cut the ones that arn't wrapped about a year ago and they are from the same batch as the arrows I have been posting.  The ones wrapped in rope I cut a few days ago and the green ones unwrapped in one shot and wrapped in rubberbands in the other, were cut on Thursday morning.  I'll try to go out a couple of more times to double this amount.  All cut off the creek here in my front yard.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Fresh cut Mult-floral Rose shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:13:18 pm »
What kind of rose are you people cutting?  I haven't found anything remotely like that around here in southern Indiana

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »
aznboi3644,

I live in Brown/Monroe County Indiana.  This stuff is everywhere.  It's called multi-floral rose and it is an invasive from Japan.  That's what I use.  I bet there are others too.  It's the plant that gets the rose hips on it in the fall.  I don't know if my terminology is right here, but it has multifaceted leaflets w/ like 8 or nine leaves per leaflet.  I can post a pic of it growing if you'd like.  Shouldn't be too hard to find, they already have rose hips on them now, they are green, though.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 06:53:38 pm »
i live in southern ohio and that stuff is everywhere.it should grow in southern indiana
Middletown,Ohio

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:05:48 pm »
look for the big bush that looks like a octopus with thorns all over it.

Offline drwilson

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:22:37 pm »
That stuff is all over southern Indiana.
The Gvt. passed it out to the farmers
years ago for "Living Fence", it is a pain in
the ****.

Densil

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »
Anzb, good info above, look in low lying areas especially creek and river bottoms where  it tends to grow larger/straighter shoots. Rosa sp. grows well in a variety of soil types and has habitat and food value for a lot of different wildlife species. It makes good arrows, but does take a little practice straightening.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »
That crap grows all over the place here on my place and everywhere around it. It's the most hateful and evil vegetation known to mankind next to locust.  >:(
An octopus with thorns is a pretty good likeness, but the ones I have look like a barrel of octopus on steroids all writhing together with hook like daggers creating an impassable wall of razor blades that only a rabbit or a bird can get through. I've got one up by my barn that's so big I can't even brush hawg it down because the tractor would get hung up.

I can't believe you all actually cut this stuff for arrow shafts. You must suit up in carharts from head to toe and then strap on some welding leathers, complete with gloves and a face shield. Then cut your way in with limb loppers as ya go. Better tie a rope around ya if ya go after the ones I got so your buddy can hook the other end to the truck and rip ya out backwards when ya get stuck! LOL  :o :(
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 01:08:53 am »
You've got to become the rabbit...the bird...I wear cutoffs and sandles, walk the creek looking up...bleed a little.  Some long handled pruners help.  I cut low and then grab it by the top w/ pruners to pull it free.  I cut to about 36" and take the leaves off in the creek bank.  I do this all within 200 yrds. of my house, so I only ct 7 or 8 real good ones and a few inferior and work on them before cutting more.  I hope to have close to 3 dozen gooders by the end of the season and the same of low quality to mess around with.  Anyway, in reply to SEMO...Man that must be one big briar patch. :)   

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:30:19 am »
Yep it is, you could hide a pickup truck in it! Anybody that ever wants to come by my place can have all the multifloral rose you want, I'll just point you in the right direction and you can have at it!
You gotta bring your own band aids though, I'll stand by with the ATV and a life line to pull ya out when you get stuck in there, but I gotta warn ya it's gonna be painful.  >:D :o
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline lowell

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 02:47:36 pm »
Asked a farmer here in Il if I could gat some and he said yes but I had to take it all !!LOL

Also remember.... the best shoots are in the middle of the bush!! >:D

Reading this thread makes me want to go out and take a look.  Haven't made any for a while and sure would like to have a couple good "shooters" by fall!! :)

I always gathered shoots in the winter....do they seem to work out if gathered now??
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:09:09 pm »
lowell, this is the time of year I like to get em.  Check out the pics and follow the lead.  You can skin them and they dry real fast a couple of weeks, but the check real bad.  I leave the bark on and they are dry in 6 or 8 weeks.  Tie em up though to keep em straight.  Happy hunting!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 12:24:16 am »
That crap grows all over the place here on my place and everywhere around it. It's the most hateful and evil vegetation known to mankind next to locust.  >:(
An octopus with thorns is a pretty good likeness, but the ones I have look like a barrel of octopus on steroids all writhing together with hook like daggers creating an impassable wall of razor blades that only a rabbit or a bird can get through. I've got one up by my barn that's so big I can't even brush hawg it down because the tractor would get hung up.

I can't believe you all actually cut this stuff for arrow shafts. You must suit up in carharts from head to toe and then strap on some welding leathers, complete with gloves and a face shield. Then cut your way in with limb loppers as ya go. Better tie a rope around ya if ya go after the ones I got so your buddy can hook the other end to the truck and rip ya out backwards when ya get stuck! LOL  :o :(
Carhart pants, long sleeves and pleny of band aids
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956